Cookies and Cream Gooey Bars have a chocolate cake layer on the bottom topped with a gooey cream cheese layer full of crushed oreo cookies.
These rich bars are like a combination of cheesecake and cake. Who doesn’t love chocolate and oreos?
Two Delicious Layers
- Chocolate Cake Layer– this layer is made with a box of chocolate cake mix, an egg, and a half cup of melted butter.
- Cream Cheese Layer– the cream cheese layer makes the gooey part. It is a mixture of cream cheese, melted butter, eggs, powdered sugar, vanilla extract, and crushed Double Stuff Oreos.
- Electric Mixer– either stand or hand-held.
- 9×13-inch baking dish
What Type Of Cake Mix To Use?
You can use any regular-size box of chocolate cake mix. I prefer Duncan Hines or Betty Crocker. You can use Chocolate Fudge, German Chocolate, or Milk Chocolate flavor.
Be careful not to overbake. It should still look a little gooey in the middle. The sides will puff up and the middle will look a little sunken. This is normal.
Make Ahead and Storage
These bars can be made a day or two in advance. They need to be refrigerated for at least 1 hour before serving. Leftovers should be stored in the refrigerator and will keep in an airtight container for 5 days.
How To Serve Cookies and Cream Gooey Bars
Can be served cold, at room temperature, or warm. I like to top the bars with fresh whipped cream and an oreo cookie.
More Gooey Bar Recipes
- Biscoff Gooey Butter Bars
- Nutella Gooey Butter Bars
- Pumpkin Spice Gooey Butter Cake
- Southern Chess Squares
Cookies and Cream Gooey Bars
- 1 box chocolate cake mix
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 1 large egg
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup melted butter
- 3 large eggs
- 16 ounces confectioners' sugar
- 15 Double Stuff Oreo Cookies, coarsely crumbled
- whipped cream and oreos for garnish, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat cake mix, melted butter and egg until evenly mixed. It will be very thick. Transfer to prepared pan and pat it out evenly.
- In the same bowl, beat the cream cheese and vanilla until smooth.
- Add the melted butter and 3 eggs and beat until blended.
- Beat in confectioners' sugar.
- Stir in the crushed oreos. Pour over the cake mix layer.
- Bake for 40 to 44 minutes. It should still be gooey in the middle. Be careful not to overbake it.
- Cool completely and refrigerate for at least 1 hour before cutting into squares.
- Serve with whipped cream and additional cookies.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adpated from The Ultimate Cake Mix Cookie Book