Cherry Limeade Poke Cake is the perfect summery potluck dessert. Easy to make with a box of cake mix.
Doctored Cake Mix Recipe
While baking from scratch is my favorite, I love a good cake mix recipe. Starting a dessert with a box of cake mix is a huge time saver. For this poke cake, a box of white cake mix is used. It is mixed with oil, egg whites, and lime zest and baked in a 13×9-inch baking dish.
Poke Cake Filling
A poke cake involves poking holes in a cake and pouring filling into the holes. The filling creates a super moist cake. For this version, cherry Jello is used. Not only does it add lots of cherry flavor, it gives the cake a wonderful red and white color palette.
How To Make Cherry Limeade Poke Cake
- Prepare the cake. Mix the batter with water, vegetable oil, egg whites, and lime zest. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Poke holes and pour gelatin mixture into the holes.
- Refrigerate at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Spread Cool Whip on top.
- Hand-Held Electric Mixer– this Kitchenaid Hand-Held Mixer is sturdy and really gets the job done.
- 9×13-inch Baking Dish– I love to use a glass baking dish for this recipe because it really shows off the colors in the cake.
What To Use To Poke The Holes
You want the holes to be fairly substantial. A fork is too small. I use the end of a wooden spoon.
Can I Use Whipped Cream?
Yes! Instead of Cool Whip, you can use fresh whipped cream. You will need about 3 cups. If you are using fresh whipped cream, it is best to add it just before serving because it will not save for long since the whipped cream will get weepy.
How Long Will A Poke Cake Keep?
Tightly cover it and it will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.
More Poke Cake Recipes
- Easy Strawberry Poke Cake
- Hummingbird Poke Cake
- Chocolate Poke Cake
- Banana Pudding Poke Cake
- Cheerwine Poke Cake
- Toffee Poke Cake
- (15.25-ounce) box white cake mix
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large egg whites
- zest from 1 lime
- 1 (3-ounce) box cherry gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 8 ounces Cool Whip, thawed
- lime slices and maraschino cherries
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch baking dish with baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, use a hand-held electric mixer to beat cake mix, water, vegetable oil, egg whites, and lime zest on LOW for 30 seconds.Beat on medium for 2 minutes.
- Transfer batter to prepared baking dish.Bake for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Let cool for 10 minutes and then poke holes in cake with the back of a wooden spoon.
- Place cherry gelatin in a bowl and pour boiling water into bowl. Stir until dissolved.Slowly pour into holes.Cover and refrigerate at least 4 hours.
- Spread Cool Whip on top and decorate with lime slices and maraschino cherries. Serve.