Cajun Nuts spiced up with a spice mixture including paprika, cayenne pepper, white pepper, onion powder, oregano, and thyme are great to serve at a football party or just to have to snack on. They are coated in bacon grease and garlic and roasted in a 200 degree oven to help meld the flavors to the nuts.
Nuts are something I’m constantly buying since my daughter is vegetarian and it is so hard for her to get enough protein. I make a separate batch for her without the bacon grease. 🙂
I never thought to roast nuts in bacon grease until I found a recipe for Cajun Nuts in Deep South Parties: How to Survive the Southern Cocktail Hour Without a Box of French Onion Soup Mix, A Block of Processed Cheese, or A Cocktail Weeniethat did just that. I’ve had the cookbook for years and it arguably has the greatest title of any southern cookbook. There are no pictures of the recipes ( a pet peeve of mine) , but it is wonderfully written and the stories alone are worth the price of the book.
The homemade Cajun Seasoning that’s included in this recipe makes much more than you need for these nuts. You can also use it on steak, shrimp, chicken, or even roasted potatoes.
Roasted Cajun Nuts are a great way to spice up snack time and go great with a cold beer!
Cajun Nuts roasted in a bacon grease/garlic mixture are a great way to spice up snack time and go great with a cold beer.
- 2 tablespoons bacon grease
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups unsalted peanuts
- 1 cup unsalted cashews
- 1 cup whole unsalted almonds
- 1 cup pecan halves
- 1/2 tablespoon Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for Cajun seasoning. (You will only use 1/2 tablespoon of this mixture. Save the rest for other uses.)
- In a small pan heat bacon grease over low heat. Add garlic and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Place nuts in a large bowl.
- Drizzle bacon fat/garlic over nuts and toss to coat.
- Sprinkle 1/2 tablespoon of cajun seasoning, salt, sugar, and black pepper over nuts. Toss to coat evenly.
- Pour nuts onto a large baking sheet and place in oven for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
Disclosure: Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate.