Apple Pie French Toast Casserole is an overnight breakfast casserole with apple pie filling, cinnamon, and caramel sauce. This fall recipe is perfect for a crowd.
Assemble it the night before and pop it in the oven when you wake up. Forty-five minutes later you have a wonderfully delicious French toast casserole with lots of apple flavor. The bread pieces on top get crunchy and crispy and are a nice contrast to the soft, moist apple pie filling which bakes down into the casserole. I put just a thin layer of steusel on top for even more texture contrast.
Tips for making Apple Pie French Toast Casserole:
- I drizzle jarred caramel sauce over the casserole, but maple syrup could be used instead. I find it hard to beat the flavor combination of apples and caramel.
- You want to use a somewhat stale loaf of bread. I use French bread, but Italian would work too or even challah bread.
- I use a can of apple pie filling, but you could make a homemade appple pie filling if you have fresh apples you want to use.
- To make this casserole even creamier and richer, use half-and-half instead of milk.
- The streusel can be made the night before and sprinkled on just before baking. Keep it refrigerated.
This easy breakfast casserole is the perfect excuse to eat apple pie for breakfast!
More Apple Recipes:
Apple Pie French Toast CasserolePrint Pin Rate
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf French bread, cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats (or old-fashioned oats)
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan and place French bread cubes in it. Sprinkle the bread cubes with the cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread cubes. Use the back of a spoon to press bread cubes into liquid.
- Spoon apple pie filling evenly on top. Cover and refigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- While oven heats make the streusel. Mix together all ingredients and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Drizzle with caramel sauce and serve.