Apple Pie French Toast Casserole is an overnight breakfast casserole with apple pie filling, cinnamon, and caramel sauce. This fall recipe is perfect for a crowd.
Assemble it the night before and pop it in the oven when you wake up. Forty-five minutes later you have a wonderfully delicious French toast casserole with lots of apple flavor. The bread pieces on top get crunchy and crispy and are a nice contrast to the soft, moist apple pie filling which bakes down into the casserole. I put just a thin layer of steusel on top for even more texture contrast.
Tips for making Apple Pie French Toast Casserole:
- I drizzle jarred caramel sauce over the casserole, but maple syrup could be used instead. I find it hard to beat the flavor combination of apples and caramel.
- You want to use a somewhat stale loaf of bread. I use French bread, but Italian would work too or even challah bread.
- I use a can of apple pie filling, but you could make a homemade appple pie filling if you have fresh apples you want to use.
- To make this casserole even creamier and richer, use half-and-half instead of milk.
- The streusel can be made the night before and sprinkled on just before baking. Keep it refrigerated.
This easy breakfast casserole is the perfect excuse to eat apple pie for breakfast!
More Apple Recipes:
Apple Pie French Toast Casserole
- 1 (16-ounce) loaf French bread, cut into cubes
- 1 1/4 teaspoons cinnamon
- 6 large eggs
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 (21-ounce) can apple pie filling
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats (or old-fashioned oats)
- 1/3 cup caramel sauce
- Lightly grease a 9x13-inch pan and place French bread cubes in it. Sprinkle the bread cubes with the cinnamon.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, milk, and vanilla. Pour mixture over bread cubes. Use the back of a spoon to press bread cubes into liquid.
- Spoon apple pie filling evenly on top. Cover and refigerate 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove from refrigerator and heat oven to 350 degrees.
- While oven heats make the streusel. Mix together all ingredients and sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes. Drizzle with caramel sauce and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
17 thoughts on “Apple Pie French Toast Casserole”
This is a fantastic dish! I always read the comments and suggestions that people wrote, so wanted to share some of the things I did different too! I had used cinnamon raisin bread, and used the advice someone else suggested, and cut it into cubes. I put it all on a cookie sheet in a 350 oven for about 15 minutes, just to “crisp it up” a little bit. I used almond milk, since the people I was cooking for were lactose intolerant, which worked just fine. I added some chopped nuts to the topping, and I tossed a handful or two of blueberries on the top, before the crumb topping. I skipped the caramel sauce, since I didn’t want it overly sweet for them, and it didn’t need it! It was delicious, and has made it’s way to the top of my favorite list! You could probably use any flavor of pie filling, but the apple was super good!
Easy and quick to make. I used my home made apple pie filling for it. My family loved it.
do you bake in oven without tinfoil on top?
I did not used tinfoil when I made mine.
My family and I thought this was delicious. I used brioche bread, half and half, and baked for the full 50 minutes. I did not drizzle with caramel or use syrup, the apple pie filling and streusel topping were perfect as is.
Turned out excellent. Served to church people after church coffee hour. Was gone in minutes.
Excellent. Church people loved.
So yummy! I used apple cider caramel sauce and it turned out delicious!
Beloved by all. Note that it puffs up to plan against oven drips. Left it in ten minutes extra, added personal touches of nutmeg and cardamom, and skipped the caramel.
I made this for Thanksgiving breakfast and we all loved it. I have just made it again for Christmas Eve brunch. So easy and excellent.
Looking through my pantry last night to see what I had on hand, I was looking specifically for a breakfast recipe utilizing apple pie filling and your recipe was the first to pop up. I served it to our home church crowd this morning and it was gone in minutes! I love a good breakfast casserole that you can whip up the day before and just stick in the oven the next morning. Everyone raved about this and the women promptly asked for the recipe. Thanks for putting this out there to share!
Made this tonight with my own twist added lemon pie filling and added blueberries to the topping can’t wait ..thank you for the recipe 🥰
Very good and love the addition of the caramel sauce! I have a personal aversion to soggy bread and my French bread was not stale, so I popped my cubed bread in a 350° oven for about 30 minutes till they were not quite a crouton but a little toasted and they held up perfect! Will be making this for our church Senior breakfast this Sunday!
OMG this looks heavenly!!! I’m printing recipe off as I type… will be trying this soon. 🙂 Thanks so much!!
Very Delicious!! I did make one change to recipe instead of using all cinnamon I use half cinnamon and half nutmeg. THX for the recipe.
I refuse to use apple pie filling in anything! 🤮🤮 This would be even better with fresh apples.
Your rudeness is what brings on those emojis for me!