Triple layer brownies flavored with Andes Peppermint Crunch Baking Chips are rich and chocolaty with plenty of minty flavor, making them a wonderful holiday treat.
The regular Andes mints are something we always had in our Christmas stockings as children and now my son looks forward to them every year. It just wouldn’t be Christmas without them.
While shopping a few weeks ago, I grabbed a bag of Andes Peppermint Baking Chips on impulse. I had never bought them before and I wasn’t sure exactly what I would do with them, but I was very sure that whatever it was would be very good. I mean, you just can’t go wrong with that minty Andes flavor. 🙂
Since brownies are a favorite of mine, I decided to make a layered peppermint cream brownie. In addition to a peppermint cream layer, I added some peppermint baking chips to the brownie batter to boost up the peppermint flavor some. I topped it off with a layer of chocolate since I am of the belief that you just can’t have too much chocolate.
The end result was a delightfully pepperminty and chocolaty brownie that will satisfy both peppermint and chocolate lovers.
On the baked goods front, we’ve been ready for Christmas for weeks, but I’m happy to say that we finally got our tree up today. It has lights and is MAYBE half decorated. We just can’t seem to talk either of our teenage kids into helping decorate the tree anymore. Christmas changes so much as your kids get older. So much of the excitement is gone and it’s so hard to pick presents out for them. It used to be that they waked us up Christmas morning, but now it’s us who wake them up.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1½ cups flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¾ cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup Andes peppermint baking chips
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup Andes peppermint baking chips
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1 square (1-ounce) unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1½ cups powdered sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9-inch square baking dish with aluminum foil or parchment paper, allowing edges to extend over sides of pan. Spray with nonstick baking spray with flour.
- In a large bowl, stir together sugar, flour, cocoa powder, salt, vegetable oil, eggs, and vanilla extract until well blended. Stir in ½ cup Andes baking chips.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Let cool completely.
- For Peppermint Cream, combine white chocolate chips, 1 cup Andes baking chips, and heavy cream in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Place over low heat and stir continuously until melted and smooth. Pour over brownies. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour.
- For Chocolate Glaze, combine chopped chocolate and butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring continuously, until smooth. Remove from heat and whisk in vanilla, powdered sugar, and milk. Whisk until smooth and then pour over Peppermint Cream layer. Let set before slicing into squares.