Tomato Pie with Bacon is wonderfully creamy and full of slices of ripe summer tomatoes, salty bacon and mozzarella and cheddar cheese all baked in a buttery pie crust.
When it comes to savory pies, you just can’t beat a tomato pie.
This is my standard Tomato Pie recipe, but this version with bacon is even more delicious. Isn’t everything better with bacon?
Tomato Pie is a classic southern recipe for summer. We love our summer tomatoes, whether it be a simple tomato sandwich with Duke’s mayonnaise, a BLT, or a tomato pie.
This Tomato Pie with Bacon is very similar to a BLT Sandwich. You have your tomato slices, your bacon, and lots of mayonnaise.
Tomato Pie can be eaten warm, at room temperature, or cold. It’s just a matter of personal preference. For a really good tomato pie, you want to use either vine-ripened home-grown tomatoes or ones that you have bought at a farmers market. The tomatoes at the grocery store typically do not have enough flavor.
You’ll want to sprinkle the tomato slices with salt and let them sit on the counter a little while. This will bring some of the water out of the tomatoes. Blot them dry before adding them to the pie to prevent your pie from being soggy and liquidy.
More ways to use summer tomatoes:
Tomato Pie with Bacon
- 1 (9-inch) deep dish frozen pie crust
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- kosher salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded Mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 6 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Let pie crust sit at room temperature for 20 minutes.Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Poke bottom of pie crust with fork. Brush with egg white. Bake for 12 minutes. Let cool
- Place tomato slices in a colander and sprinkle with kosher salt. Let sit 10 minutes. Blot dry with paper towels.
- Season tomato slices to taste with pepper and arrange in pie crust, saving three slices.
- In a medium bowl, stir together mayonnaise, mozzarella cheese, cheddar cheese, basil, green onion, and half of bacon. Spread over tomatoes.
- Arrange remaining 3 tomato slices on top and sprinkle with remaining bacon.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.