Strawberry Custard Bars have a buttery crust, a super creamy custard-like filling with lots of chopped strawberries, and a cream cheese topping with a little tang. These scrumptious bars are perfect for celebrating Spring and strawberry season.
These Strawberry Custard Bars start with a buttery, chewy shortbread-like crust made from flour, sugar and butter.
The filling has the texture of custard with lots of chopped strawberries. You can use either fresh or frozen strawberries. If you use frozen, fully defrost them and lay them out on several layers of paper towels to soak up excess moisture so that your filing won’t be runny.
There’s plenty of sweetness in the custard layer to compliment the strawberries and heavy whipping cream makes this layer super rich and creamy.
On top is a cream cheese layer with whipped cream mixed in to lighten it some and make it more spreadable.
Strawberry Custard Bars are great for spring potlucks and picnics!
Strawberry Custard Bars
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 2 cups sugar
- 7 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 5 cups chopped strawberries, fresh or frozen
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups whipped cream or Cool whip
- In a large bowl combine flour and sugar. Cut butter in with a pastry blender until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Press into a greased 9x13-inch pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
- While crust is baking, make filling. Stir together sugar and flour in a large bowl.
- Whisk in cream and eggs.
- Stir in strawberries. Pour over crust and bake for about 45 minutes or until custard is set. Let cool.
- To make topping, use an electric mixer to beat cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla until smooth. Fold in whipped cream. Spread mixture on top of filling. Refrigerate for at least 4 hours before cutting into squares. Store in refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
More Strawberry Desserts
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.