Pasta coated in a creamy sun-dried tomato sauce with slices of Andouille sausage is comfort food like no other and easy enough to make for a weeknight dinner on a busy day. There’s just something about the flavor of sun-dried tomatoes that goes so perfectly with a cream sauce and pasta.
Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce is one of my favorite family meals and this recipe has all the flavor and comfort that I love in that dish, but with a little…ok, a lot of spicy sausage added in.
I used Johnsonville Chicken Andouille Sausage which has the spice I love in andouille sausage but is lower in fat which is good because we already have a whole lot of fat in this recipe from the heavy cream.
But this is definitely a keep your portions small and eat a big side salad kind of recipe.
Instead of Andouille sausage you could use another type of smoked sausage like kielbasa. I used gemelli pasta but any pasta shape works. You could even use spaghetti or fettuccine and farfalle always seems to be popular with kids.
I use sun-dried tomatoes packed in oil and a really good tip I learned years ago is to use the oil they come packed in for cooking. No need to waste that awesome flavored oil. The sun-dried tomatoes I use come packed in safflower oil, but whether yours come in olive oil or another oil, go ahead and try using it to add flavor to your sauteed foods. You’re paying for it so you might as well make use of it.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Pasta with Sun-Dried Tomato Sauce and Sausage
- 12 ounces of pasta, cooked to al dente (reserve 1/3 cup cooking liquid)
- 2 links Andouille or smoked sausage
- 1 tablespoon oil, I use the oil from the jar of sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup chicken broth
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil, drained well
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Slice sausage into 1/4-inch slices. Heat oil in a large skillet and cook sausage until browned. Remove sausage from pan and set aside.
- To the pan, add butter. Cook garlic and shallot in butter for 2 minutes over medium heat.
- Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
- Whisk in chicken broth and heavy cream. Simmer until thickened.
- Add Parmesan cheese, sun-dried tomatoes, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- Season to taste with salt.
- Add pasta and toss to coat. If sauce is too thick, add reserved pasta liquid.
More Pasta Favorites
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.