Panko Parmesan Squash Planks- summer squash is thinly sliced and baked until softened. Then it’s topped with Parmesan cheese, Panko crumbs, and garlic and broiled until golden. A great healthy summer side.
Quick and Easy To Make
This recipe can be made start to finish in just 20 minutes. It makes a great side for burgers and grilled meats.
How To Make Panko Parmesan Squash Planks
Step 1– Trim the ends off the squash and cut lengthwise into 1/3 to 1/2-inch slices. Brush both sides with oil and season with salt and pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened (crisp tender).
Step 2- While the squash is in the oven, combine melted butter, Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, garlic, parsley, and crushed red pepper flakes. Remove the baking sheet from the oven and spoon the panko crumb mixture evenly on top of the squash pieces. Broil for a few minutes to brown the panko crumbs.
Zucchini can be used instead of yellow squash.
To change the flavor up some, try adding a little fresh thyme, tarragon or rosemary to the panko mixture.
For a little more cheesy flavor, sprinkle some shredded mozzarella cheese or cheddar cheese onto the squash before adding the panko crumb mixture.
Best eaten right away but leftovers can be stored in an airtight conatiner in the refrigerator for a few days. Reheat in the oven or toaster oven.
How To Make Spicy
A few crushed red pepper flakes in the topping add some heat. Add a pinch of cayenne pepper for more spice.
More Squash Recipes
- Pimento Cheese Stuffed Squash
- Squash Puppies
- Yellow Squash Casserole
- Summer Squash and Onions
- Cheesy Squash, Zucchini, and Corn Casserole
Panko Parmesan Squash Planks
- 3 medium yellow squash
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 3/4 cup Panko crumbs
- 1/4 cup freshly shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Spray lightly with cooking spray.
- Cut squash lengthwise into 1/3 to 1/2-inch slices. Brush with oil and season with salt and pepper.Arrange squash on prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until softened.
- In a medium bowl, stir together melted butter, Panko crumbs, Parmesan cheese, parsley, garlic, red pepper flakes and a pinch of salt.
- Spread Panko crumb mixture evenly on top of squash planks.
- Broil for 2 to 3 minutes or until golden brown.