Thinking about firing up the grill for Father’s Day? You can’t go wrong with these grilled hot dogs covered in a sweet and tangy Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce. Add in some Bourbon Baked Beans, corn on the cob, and Buttermilk Cole Slaw for a nice spread that will make Dad feel appreciated.
The recipe makes almost 4 cups of barbecue sauce so you’ll have plenty leftover to be adding flavor to your meals for the rest of the week. I used my leftovers to make some Baked Barbecue Chicken. It would also make a great sauce for a Barbecue Chicken Pizza.
Dr. Pepper is hands down my favorite soft drink and it does surprisingly well as a flavoring in foods.
The sauce is fairly sweet so why not add some thinly sliced fresh jalapenos for a nice contrast. The ancho chili powder pairs well with Dr Pepper and I find its flavor to be much more interesting than regular chili powder. If you don’t have any, it’s worth buying some for this recipe.
Hot Dogs with Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12-ounce) can Dr Pepper
- 1 cup ketchup
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup cider vinegar
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 8 hot dogs
- 8 hot dog buns
- sliced jalapeno pepper
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, cook onion in butter for 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 more minute.
- Add all ingredients to saucepan except hot dogs, buns, and jalapenos. Mix well, reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes. Remove sauce from heat and cool 10 minutes.
- Puree sauce in pan with an immersion blender or transfer to a regular blender and blend until smooth.
- Grill hot dogs on a gas grill or charcoal grill until heated through. Serve on buns topped with barbecue sauce and jalapeno slices.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Yield: 8 hot dogs and about 4 cups of sauce
Recipe Source: adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
6 thoughts on “Hot Dogs with Dr. Pepper Barbecue Sauce”
mmmmmmmm that sounds delish! <3
Lovely work, Christin! Would you be happy to link it in to the current Food on Friday which is about all things BBQ? This is the link . I do hope to see you there. Cheers
Dr Pepper on my hot dog??? WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN ALL MY LIFE???
Dr Pepper makes anything taste better 🙂
I don’t usually eat hot dogs, but I will eat a hot dog that looks like that! Yum! You’re making me hungry.
I don’t eat many hot dogs either, but I love them with this barbecue sauce.