These quick and easy Deep Dish Taco Squares make a delicious family meal with lots of South of the Border flavor. It’s part casserole, part deep dish pizza and the kids will love it!
To make Deep Dish Taco Squares, you start with a simple crust made from Bisquick Baking Mix. It gets pressed in the bottom of an 8×8-inch baking pan. You could use a 9-inch pie plate instead.
Next comes a ground beef taco-flavored layer spiced up with a jalapeno and a small can of green chilies.
The top layer is a creamy one, consisting of sour cream, mayonnaise, diced tomatoes and cheddar cheese.
It’s so easy to throw together for a weeknight meal.
To make this dish spicy, use a packet of spicy taco seasoning and serve it with pickled jalapenos.
Just 25 to 30 minutes in the oven and you have a filling casserole the whole family will enjoy. It’s a wonderfully inexpensive meal and leftovers reheat well.
I like to top it with diced avocado and fresh cilantro and serve it on a bed of finely shredded iceberg lettuce. Then you have a fabulous one dish meal!
Recipes That Go Great with Deep Dish Taco Squares:
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
Deep Dish Taco Squares
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1/2 yellow or sweet onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 (4.5-ounce) can green chilies
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 2/3 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 1/4 cup biscuit mix, Bisquick
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 medium tomato diced, or 1/2 cup diced tomatoes, drained
- Paprika, optional
- avocado, shredded lettuce for serving, optional
- In a large nonstick pan, cook and crumble ground beef. When it is no longer pink, add onion and jalapeno and cook until soft.
- Add can of green chilies, taco seasoning, and 1/4 cup water. Cook 1 minute. Remove from heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, stir together sour cream, mayonnaise, and cheddar cheese. Set aside.
- In another medium bowl, combine biscuit mix and 1/3 cup water and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Coat an 8x8-inch pan with cooking spray. Add dough to pan and pat down and spread so that it covers the bottom and extends some up the sides.
- Layer beef, then tomatoes, and sour cream mixture over the dough. Sprinkle with paprika.
- Place in 375 degree oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cut into squares and serve with avocado and shredded lettuce, if desired.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.