Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake- full of chocolate flavor and ultra rich and moist, this cake doesn’t even need a glaze or frosting.
Spicy Southern Kitchen participates in affiliate advertising programs. We may earn a commission when
you make a purchase through links on our site.
You can sprinkle it with a little powdered sugar to jazz it up a little or make it really indulgent and serve with a dollop of whipped cream or a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
Bring Ingredients To Room Temperature
The butter, cream cheese, and eggs should sit out for at least 1 hour before you make the cake batter. If they are at room temperature they will incorporate into the batter much more easily without clumps or curdling.
Use Real Butter, Not Margarine
Butter gives the pound cake a richer flavor than margarine. Be sure to use a good quality butter.
Grease and Flour Well
Pound cakes like to stick to the pan. I prefer using Baker’s Baking Spray with Flour and I spray a thick coating on my bundt pan, being sure not to miss any areas. Just be careful not to breathe any of it in. Not fun. It’s also imporatnt to use a good quality Bundt pan. I use this Bundt Pan from Target.
Measure The Flour Correctly
There isn’t any liquid added to this cake, so you have to be very careful to not add too much flour. And you have to especially be careful when measuring cake flour. Because it is so fine, it tends to get really packed down. Fluff the flour up before measuring it and then use a large spoon to spoon it into a dry measuring cup until it is a little overfull. Run the backside of a knife across the top to get rid of any excess.
Don’t Overmix Once Flour Is Added
When adding the flour, you just want to mix on LOW until the flour is fully incorporated. Overmixing activates the gluten in the flour and will change the texture of the pound cake.
Chocolate Cream Cheese Pound Cake Recipe Tip
Let the cake cool for 15 minutes before taking it out of the pan. If you take it out sooner, it might not hold together. Leave it in too long and it will stick.
Keep at room temperature for 2 to 3 days or for 1 week in the refrigerator. Can be frozen for up to 2 months.
More Delicious Pound Cake Recipes
- Coconut Cream Cheese Pound Cake
- Amaretto Pound Cake
- Classic Southern Pound Cake
- Georgia Peach Pound Cake
- Milky Way Pound Cake
- 1 cup butter (I use salted), room temperature
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 3 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Butter and flour a 12-inch Bundt pan or spray it with baking spray with flour.
- Using an electric stand mixer, beat butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy, about 5 minutes.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Mix in vanilla.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and cocoa powder.
- Add half of flour to mixing bowl and beat until mixed in. Add remaining flour and beat just until mixed in.
- Stir in milk chocolate chips. Transfer batter to prepared pan.
- Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 10 to 15 minutes and then invert onto a cake stand or serving dish.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: adapted slightly from Paula Deen