Black Bean and Corn Guacamole- the addition of black beans and corn totally takes this creamy guacamole to a whole new level. Serve with chips for a gameday appetizer or as part of a Mexican meal.
In addition to black beans and corn, this recipe also contains red bell pepper, red onion, and cilantro for flavor. Be sure to add plenty of salt. Guacamole can taste a little flat without enough salt. A little cumin, garlic, and diced tomato are other good additions if you want to add them.
Use Canned Or Frozen Corn In A Pinch
My first choice for this recipe is fresh summer grilled corn. The char the grill gives the corn wonderfully enhances its flavor. In a pinch, you can use canned corn or frozen corn. Drain the canned corn or thaw the frozen corn. For extra flavor you can cook it in a little oil over high heat to get it browned in spots.
Choosing Ripe Avocados
You want to use ripe avocados, but not overrripe avocados for this recipe. If you press gently on them, they should give a little but not feel soft or mushy. If you need to ripen unripe avocados quickly, place in a paper bag with an apple or banana. They should ripen up in about 24 to 36 hours.
Black Bean and Corn Guacamole Recipe Tip
You can add more or less lime juice depending on your preferences.
To keep guacamole from turning brown, press plastic wrap directly on the surface and refrigerate. This method works for about 24 hours. If you need to keep the guacamole fresh for longer, press the guacamole down in a storage container so that it is packed tightly and slowly pour warm water on top until there is a 1/2-inch layer. Place the lid on the container and refrigerate. Pour the water off when ready to eat.
More Guacamole and Salsa Recipes
- Spicy Pineapple Guacamole
- Jalapeno Popper Guacamole
- Fire-Roasted Salsa
- Spicy Watermelon Salsa
- Chipotle Peach Salsa
Black Bean and Corn Guacamole
- 3 ripe avocados
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup canned black beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup grilled corn kernels
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely diced red onion
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
- Remove the pits from the avocados and scoop flesh into a bowl. Mash avocado with a fork.
- Add remaining ingredients and stir until mixed.
- Check for seasoning and add more salt and lime juice if needed.Note: A little ground cumin is also a good addition.
- Serve with chips.