I live in the heart of peach country, South Carolina, and there are multiple peach farms near my home, making me feel obligated to eat them at least a couple times a week. In other words, you’re going to see a lot of peach recipes this summer!
Sweet Peach Pancakes are a first for me. This is a recipe published in Southern Living magazine last summer and it’s wonderfully suited for a lazy, weekend summer morning. With a mixture of cornmeal and soft-wheat flour, these pancakes have the wonderful flavor of cornmeal, without being heavy. The cornmeal pairs perfectly with the sweet, juicy peaches.
The recipe calls for soft-wheat flour and you might be wondering what it is. Soft wheat flours contain a type of wheat that has a low protein content as well as a low gluten content. White Lily brand of flour is a soft wheat flour and is very popular amongst southerners for making biscuits and cakes. Martha White is another brand.
If you can’t find a soft wheat flour at your local market, you can order White Lily from Amazon or try a mixture of cake flour and regular all-purpose flour.
When pouring the batter, pour it slowly over the peaches and start at the outside corners of the peaches or the batter will move the peaches all over the place. Cook until pancakes are golden brown on each side and serve with whipped cream and maple syrup for a delicious, in-season Sweet Peach Pancakes breakfast.
- ¾ cup all-purpose soft-wheat flour
- ¾ cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 ¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- Canola oil
- 3 medium peaches, unpeeled and cut into thin wedges
- whipped cream and maple syrup for serving
- In a large bowl, whisk together first 6 ingredients. In a medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, eggs, and butter. Add buttermilk mixture to flour mixture and stir just until combined.
- Melt a small amount of butter and equal parts oil on a griddle or large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- For each pancake, place 3 slices of peach on griddle and slowly pour ¼ of batter over the peaches, starting at the outside edges of the peaches and forming a circle.
- Cook pancakes for 3 to 4 minutes or until bubbles form on the tops and outside edges look cooked.
- Flip and cook for another 2 to 3 minutes, until golden. Repeat until all batter is used, adding more butter and oil as needed.
- Serve with whipped cream and maple syrup.
More Peach Recipes