Spicy Marinated Cheese is an easy, make-ahead party appetizer that gets better with time. Squares of cream cheese and cheddar cheese, (I sometimes use Colby Jack as well), are marinated in a spicy mixture of oil, vinegar, dried basil, and garlic and sprinkled with green onions and chopped sun-dried tomatoes. It makes a visually stunning summer appetizer or a festive Christmas appetizer.
The spice comes from a chopped jalapeno and some crushed red pepper flakes.
The cheese gets cut into squares that are just the right size for putting on a cracker.
The cream cheese slices are the best. 🙂
Seriously. They take me to my happy place.
You’ll want to put the cream cheese in the freezer for a little while so that it is firm enough to cut.
You can use roasted red peppers or pimentos instead of the sun-dried tomatoes.
Spicy Marinated Cheese is great for sharing. Put out a bowl of olives next to it for a tasty treat. Maybe add a tray of cured meats and you practically have a whole meal.
Serve Spicy Marinated Cheese with crackers and you have a real crowd-pleaser.
Spicy Marinated Cheese
- 1/2 cup olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup white balsamic vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, placed in freezer for 20 minutes
- 1 (8-ounce) block sharp cheddar or colby jack
- 2 green onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- Combine oil through red pepper flakes in a medium bowl and whisk well.
- Cut cream cheese and cheddar cheese in half lengthwise. Cut crosswise into 1/4-inch slices. Arrange slices alternately on a serving dish that has a little bit of an edge.
- Pour marinade over cheese. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 8 hours.
- Sprinkle green onions and sin-dried tomatoes on top and serve with crackers.
Want to Save This Recipe?
You Might Also Like
Jalapeno Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.
4 thoughts on “Spicy Marinated Cheese”
Late to the party on commenting, but I’ve been making this at least once a year for Thanksgiving and/or Christmas for the last several years and it’s always a hit! LOVE LOVE LOVE it!
Huge hit will make again
So good & easy. Made for Thanksgiving & taking to Christmas get together.
Well dear, I have just found my happy place 🙂 Thank you so much !