Sausage and Rice Dressing is a favorite come Thanksgiving time. Loaded with pork sausage, this is a really meaty rice casserole with onion, celery, mushrooms, a little cajun seasoning, and lots of shredded cheddar cheese.
I love a Cornbread Dressing, but sometimes it’s nice to have a rice-based dressing too. When it comes to Thanksgiving I’m a firm believer there can never be too many sides.
No need to just serve Sausage and Rice Dressing for Thanksgiving though. It goes great with chicken and makes a filling side dish any time of year.
With a full pound of sausage this casserole is very hearty. I like to use a ground breakfast sausage flavored with sage for lots of fall flavor.
- 1 (6-ounce) package wild rice mix
- 1 pound ground pork sausage with sage
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 (8-ounce) package white mushrooms sliced
- salt and pepper
- 1 (10.5-ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- In a large pan, brown sausage, breaking it apart with a wooden spoon. Once no longer pink, transfer it with a slotted spoon to a large bowl.
- To grease in pan, add butter and cook onion, celery, and mushrooms until soft. Season with salt and pepper. Add to bowl with sausage.
- Add rice, cream of mushroom soup, Cajun seasoning, thyme, and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir to combine.
- Transfer mixture to a greased 9x13-inch baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Cover with foil and bake 20 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More Favorite Thanksgiving Sides
Cheesy Jalapeno Corn Casserole (watch the video above to see how easy it is)
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.