I participated in the National Pork Board Program as a member of One2One Network. I received compensation but all opinions are mine.
These tender Honey Chipotle Ribs are grilled until they develop a wonderful char and are both sweet and spicy.
Whether you’re celebrating Dad’s Day by grilling up tasty pork burgers and ribs this June or hosting a backyard BBQ to kick-off the first day of summer, pork has you covered – no matter what grilling holiday is marked on your calendar. With so many cuts and preparation methods to try and endless flavor combinations to explore, pork is the must-have this grilling season.
There’s no need to be intimidated by cooking ribs. They’re really quite easy. I like to precook them in the oven and finish them on the grill. This method insures they are tender plus you don’t have to spend hours hovering over the hot grill for several hours waiting for them to cook.
Even better, the oven part of the recipe can be done one day and then they can be finished on the grill the next day.
But if you are cooking ribs for Dad for Father’s Day, he need not know how easy they are. It can be our secret.
I used Smithfield St. Louis Style Ribs and just a few simple ingredients for this recipe. This Father’s Day, Walmart is the ultimate source for your barbecue essentials and great pork deals on your grilling favorites like ribs. Look for these pork favorite when shopping the meat case and visit GrillPork.org for more grilling inspiration. While serving up your pork dishes this grilling season, be sure to pick-up Smithfield/Farmland [depending on market] ribs at Walmart; every cut of their hand-trimmed extra tender fresh pork is proudly raised in the USA.
The ribs are first coated with honey and then sprinkled with a chipotle chili based rub. I love the flavor of chipotle chili powder. It has much more heat than regular chili powder. You could use regular chili powder instead, but I would also add about ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Next the ribs are wrapped in aluminum foil and slow-cooked in the oven. A nice coating of BBQ sauce and 10 to 20 minutes on a hot grill and you have tender ribs worthy of any summer celebration.
While you are grilling your ribs or any other type of pork, including bratwurst, snap a picture, post it to Instagram between now and September 7th with the hashtag #GrillPorkSweeps, and fill out the Sweepstakes form at GrillPork.org. You’ll be entered to win a year’s worth of free groceries from Walmart and other prizes from Smithfield, A1, and Johnsonville.
Also on GrillPork.org, you can find recipes for enjoying pork all summer long as well as tips from BBQ Pros Moe Cason and Tuffy Stone.
Scroll down to enter the Giveaway – worth $150
- With a knife, remove the membrane on the back of the ribs. Rinse and pat dry the ribs.
- Brush front and backs of ribs with honey.
- Combine chipotle chili powder, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and sprinkle on ribs, using about 75% on the meaty side of the ribs. Wrap ribs in a double layer of heavy-duty aluminum foil. Let sit at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 275 degrees. Place ribs on a baking sheet and place in oven for 2 hours and 30 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool slightly before proceeding. Or you can refrigerate them overnight.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat. Remove rack of ribs from aluminum foil and brush both sides with BBQ sauce. Place on grill meaty side down and grill until you get nice char marks, about 5-10 minutes. Flip over and grill another 5-10 minutes.
- Serve with additional BBQ Sauce.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Sharing this recipe with The Weekend Potluck.
Grilling Kit Giveaway (Retail Value $150)
Johnsonville grilling kit, Smithfield/Farmland coupons, Pork branded apron, Pork branded brush, A1 product, Johnsonville coupons, meat thermometer, Walmart gift card ($75)
To enter the giveaway, leave a comment letting us know your favorite way to grill pork.
Must be a US Resident to enter.
Contest closes June 25 at 12pm. One winner will be chosen and notified by email. Winner has 48 hours to respond with mailing address and phone number or another winner will be chosen.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.