Macaroni and cheese is the ultimate, indulgent comfort food. It’s warm, buttery, gooey, and cheesy and gets absolutely devoured by kids and adults alike.
Mac and cheese has always been a popular side dish in the South. Go to any Mom and Pop type restaurant and it’s always listed as a veggie. And my kids ALWAYS order it.
Last week I shared a custard-style Baked Mac and Cheese. This one is also baked, but there are no eggs in it, just a large, I mean ENORMOUS, amount of cheese. It comes out of the oven ultra-gooey and cheesy. And it’s one of my favorites.
Creamy Mac and Cheese is a super indulgent meal so make yourself feel a little less guilty by serving it with steamed broccoli.
Looking for more Macaroni and Cheese recipes? Check out my Mac and Cheese Pinterest Board. It’s ALL mac and Cheese ALL the time!
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 2 cups half-and-half
- 2 cups milk
- 2 (10-ounce) blocks sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded and divided
- 1 (10-ounce) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 (16-ounce) package elbow macaroni, cooked
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Gradually whisk in flour until smooth. Cook, whisking constantly,for 2 minutes.
- Stir in salt, both peppers, and granulated garlic. Gradually whisk in half-and-half and milk. Cook, whisking constantly, for 8 to 10 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in half of sharp Cheddar and all of extra-sharp Cheddar until smooth. Remove from heat.
- Combine cheese mixture and pasta and pour into lightly greased 13-X-9-inch baking dish. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top.
- Bake for 20 minutes. If you want a crusty top, bake for up to 15 more minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: I’ve had this recipe forever, but I’m pretty sure it’s from Southern Living