These Cowboy Burgers are loaded with smokey BBQ flavor and topped with melted cheese, bacon, crispy fried onion rings, and Stubb’s BBQ Sauce. One-bite and you’ll be hooked on these western-style burgers.
In today’s world, regular ole burgers have become so ho-hum. People expect a burger piled with toppings and bursting with flavor. Luckily, with Stubb’s products, grilling a super tasty burger couldn’t be easier.
To flavor these burgers, I mixed Stubb’s Sweet Black Pepper Anytime Sauce in with the ground beef. It’s flavored with pepper, soy sauce, and brown sugar and tastes great as a marinade, basting sauce, or dipping sauce.
Once the patties were formed, I sprinkled them with Stubb’s Beef Rub before grilling. The rub gives the burgers a nice, smokey flavor.
Once grilled, I topped the burgers with cheese and I piled them on a bun with lettuce, crispy bacon, onion rings fried in a light, golden batter, and Stubb’s Original BBQ Sauce. So much flavor going on here!
Stubb’s BBQ Sauces, marinades, and rubs are one of my favorite ways to flavor up grilled foods.
National BBQ Expert Rocky Stubblefield suggests creating over-the-top burgers by coating the patties with both Stubb’s Rub and smoked sea salt to really bring out that smokey BBQ taste.
Before grilling, make a thumbprint in the middle of each patty. This will help keep the patties from plumping up and getting rounded when they grill.
Learn about 2016’s top BBQ trends and tips from Rocky Stubblefield at StubbsBbq.com.
Next time you grill some dinner, try a few Stubb’s products and see why Austin, Texas-based Stubb’s is the Number 1 premium BBQ Sauce in the country.
Cowboy Burgers topped with Onion Rings
- 1 pound ground chuck 80% lean
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Stubb's Sweet Black Pepper Anytime Sauce
- 1 teaspoon Stubb's Beef Rub
- 4 slices cheese (cheddar provolone, or swiss)
- 4 buns
- 4 leaves lettuce
- Stubb's Original BBQ Sauce
- 8 slices bacon cooked
- 2 sweet onions peeled and cut into 1/3-inch slices
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups cold beer
- 1 cup cold water
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Combine ground chuck, salt, and Sweet Black Pepper Sauce in a bowl and mix. Form into 4 patties. Sprinkle patties with Beef Rub.
- Grill burgers on a medium hot grill for about 5 minutes per side or until desired degree of doneness. Top with cheese slices just before removing from grill.
- To make onion rings. whisk together flour, cornstarch, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
- In a medium bowl, whisk egg whites until light and frothy. Whisk in beer and water.
- Add liquid ingredients to dry and whisk just until combined.
- Heat about 2 inches of Vegetable oil in a Dutch oven to 375 degrees.
- Separate onions into rings and dip in batter.
- Fry in batches until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel-lined baking sheet and season lightly with salt.
- Pile burgers, lettuce, and bacon on buns. Top with 2 to 3 onion rings and bbq sauce and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post. I appreciate the opportunity to share products I love and use in my own kitchen.
6 thoughts on “Cowboy Burgers topped with Onion Rings”
Holy cowboy burgers! This is seriously the ultimate burger! I LOVE that you piled those crispy onion rings on there – looks ahmaaazing!!
This is my kind of burger!!! You’re giving me a seriously burger-with-onion-rings craving – I haven’t made homemade burgers once this summer and now that definitely needs to change. Swoon!
This looks like the ultimate burger. All the seasonings in here sound amazing. And those onion rings…I want a whole plate of them right now!
I am suddenly craving burgers in a BIG way! Man, I haven’t made enough burgers yet this summer! Definitely need to try these.
Well, isn’t this just the most GORGEOUS burger I’ve ever seen! You’re seriously making me crave burgers before even 7am, Christin! I need these in my life noooooow.
Now this is a burger! I love the barbecue sauce and onion rings on top of here. Just what I want for dinner tonight!