For a Mexican-style breakfast full of flavor, Chorizo and Eggs Ranchero can’t be beat. A crispy baked flour tortilla shell is filled with refried beans, scrambled eggs, cheese, tomatoes, and lots of crumbled chorizo sausage.
I love the flavor and spice that fresh chorizo sausage has. Be sure you get the right kind of chorizo sausage. It should be the fresh kind, not the cured Spanish kind. In my store it is in the same section as the ground Italian sausage.
Crispy tortilla shells are made in the oven and filled with refried beans, chorizo, and scrambled eggs. You could make fried eggs instead of scrambled eggs. I actually think it would taste better with a creamy egg yolk coating everything and that is the traditional way to make this dish. But scrambled eggs are so quick and easy and a little more kid-friendly.
I like to sprinkle Quseo Fresco on top. You can find it in most stores. It tastes a little like feta cheese and it also tastes great sprinkled on salads or roasted vegetables.
This recipe for Chorizo and Eggs Ranchero is totally flexible and customizable. Use fresh tomatoes, canned tomatoes or salsa and sprinkle it with any type of cheese you like. Maybe add some black beans or corn. Add some diced jalapeno, red onion, and avocado. Maybe some hot sauce. The more flavors and textures, the better!
No more boring and bland breakfasts. Get your day started with a little kick!
Chorizo and Eggs Ranchero
- 4 flour tortillas (8-inch)
- 8 ounces fresh chorizo
- 8 eggs, lightly beaten
- 3/4 cup refried beans
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup canned and drained fire-roasted tomatoes (or salsa)
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup crumbled queso fresco
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Crumple up 4 pieces of aluminum foil to make balls about the size of a tennis ball. Place on a baking sheet. Spray both sides of tortillas with cooking spray. Drape a tortilla over each piece of aluminum foil, shaping it into an upside-down bowl shape. (Alternately you can use an oven-safe bowl turned upside down.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes, or until edges are just starting to brown. Let cool 5 minutes and then turn upright.
- In a small nonstick pan, cook and crumble chorizo until cooked through. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate with a slotted spoon.
- Wipe pan clean and use pan to scramble eggs.
- Stir together refried beans and cheddar cheese in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover and microwave 1 minute. Stir to make sure it is warm all the way through.
- Divide refried bean mixture between the tortilla bowls.
- Top with chorizo and eggs.
- Sprinkle diced tomatoes, avocado, cilantro, and queso fresco on top and serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
You Might Also Like
1 thought on “Chorizo and Eggs Ranchero”
Mmm my stomach is growling for this breakfast. I love chorizo, Christin! Such a creative and delicious spin on breakfast. Looks so good!