A BLT Sandwich with Tomato Jam and Pepper Jelly Bacon is a sandwich that can be enjoyed not just during the summer when tomatoes are at their peak, but anytime of year.
A BLT is one of my favorite sandwiches, but since there are only 4 main ingredients, they need to be super flavorful. Roasting tomatoes in the oven with onions, thyme, and garlic gives them amazing flavor and heightens their sweetness .
The tomato jam takes a while to make but it has lots of other good uses too. Spread it on top of some goat cheese on crostini for a summer appetizer.
For the bacon I wanted to do something a little different and I had an idea to coat it with my favorite condiment, pepper jelly. Just a light brush of pepper jelly is enough for flavor, but not enough to prevent the bacon from crisping. I baked it in the oven which is the way I cook most of my bacon. It’s hands off, there’s no mess (except for cleaning up the bacon sheet), and no getting burned by spitting grease.
Some lettuce and a thin smear of mayonnaise are all that’s needed to finish this sandwich off. It’s a delicious way to enjoy BLTs any time of year!
BLT with Tomato Jam and Pepper Jelly Bacon
- 6 large vine-ripened tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme leaves
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 tablespoon jalapeno jelly
- 8 pieces white bread, toasted
- 4 teaspoons mayonnaise
- 2 cups mixed greens or 4 leaves of romaine or green leaf lettuce
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Chop tomatoes into approximately 1 to 1 1/2 inch pieces. Spread out evenly on baking sheet along with onion, garlic, and thyme.
- Bake for 1 hour. Increase oven temperature to 400 degrees.
- Whisk together honey, oil, vinegar, salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes in a small bowl. Drizzle over tomatoes.
- Return pan to oven and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Let cool. Scrape all contents of baking sheet into a bowl. Stir to combine, mashing while you stir to break down the tomatoes and form more of a cohesive mixture.
- To make bacon, lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray. Place bacon on pan and lightly brush top side with pepper jelly. Place in 400 degree oven and bake for 10 to 14 minutes, or until fully cooked.
- For each sandwich, spread 1 piece of bread with mayonnaise. Top with lettuce, tomato jam, and 2 pieces bacon, and then top piece of bread.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.