Let me introduce you to one of my very favorite healthy pancake recipes- Whole Wheat Apple Pancakes with Nutty Topping from Ellie Krieger’s So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the WeekCookbook. The whole wheat pancakes studded with fresh apple chunks are delicious in and of themselves, but the nutty topping takes then to a whole new level of fabulousness.
This nutty topping is seriously addictive. A combination of pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds (Maybe it should be called Seedy Topping? But that sounds a little unsavory and scandalous doesn’t it?), almonds, and toasted wheat germ. All of which is bound together by a healthy dose of maple syrup.
The nutty seedy crunch is a wonderful contrast to the soft pancakes and leaves you thinking, Why don’t I always top my pancakes with nuts and seeds? Make a double batch of this nutty topping and try some on your oatmeal or yogurt. Delicious and nutritious!
The batter will keep in the fridge for 2 days so you can have a nice, leisurely Sunday breakfast and then whip up a quick batch on Monday morning. Pancakes are always a great way to get the week started, especially if they are healthy pancakes.
- 1 medium apple, Such as Golden Delicious, about 2 cups, cored and diced
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (1%)
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon honey
- maple syrup for serving
- 1/4 cup hulled pumpkin seeds, green
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- 1/4 cup shelled sunflower seeds
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- pinch of salt
- Place diced apple in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and microwave on HIGH for 60-90 seconds to soften.
- In a large bowl, whisk together both flours, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a small bowl, whisk together buttermilk, milk, eggs, and honey.
- Add wet ingredients into dry, stirring just until combined.
- Heat a large nonstick griddle or skillet over medium heat.
- Spoon 1/4 cup batter onto griddle per pancake, and sprinkle 1 heaping tablespoon of apple on top. Drizzle a little more batter on top to cover the apple.
- Flip pancakes when they are covered with bubbles and cooked around the edges.
- Cook another 1 to 2 minutes, until pancakes are cooked through.
- To make Nutty Topping, toast pumpkin seeds and almonds in a skillet over medium-high heat for 1 minute, stirring frequently.
- Add sunflower seeds and cook 1 more minute.
- Add sesame seeds and cook, stirring continuously until seeds are toasted.
- Place mixture in a medium bowl, add wheat germ, and stir in maple syrup and salt.
- Serve with pancakes.
The calorie count is based on 1/6 of the recipe.
Nutty Topping will keep for a week in an airtight container.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: slightly adapted from Ellie Krieger’s So Easy: Luscious, Healthy Recipes for Every Meal of the Week
Disclosure: Spicy Southern Kitchen is an amazon.com affiliate.