Slow Cooker Korean Beef- a chuck roast is slow cooked with soy sauce, brown sugar, ginger, garlic, and Gochujang until fall part tender.
How To Serve Slow Cooker Korean Beef
This salty, sweet, and spicy beef tastes great served over white rice with a side of steamed snow peas or steamed broccoli. Also works great as a filling for tacos or quesadillas.
What Is Gochujang
The main flavor component of this recipe is the gochujang. It is a fermented red chili paste that is frequently used in Korean cooking. It is sweet, spicy, and salty in flavor. If you can’t find it at a supermarket, check an Asian grocery store or order it online. Be sure to get the paste and NOT Gochujang Sauce. It comes in a red rectangular container and will keep for months in the refrigerator once opened.
More Recipes Using Gochujang
This recipe has very little prep. There’s no need to sear the beef before placing it in the slow cooker. To get a head start making the recipe, you can mix together all the sauce ingredients a day in advance and refrigerate until needed. Then you literally only need about 5 minutes of work in the morning and the slow cooker does the rest. Gotta love slow cooked meals!
How To Thicken The Sauce
After 7 to 8 hours of cooking on LOW, stir together 1 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch with 1/4 cup of room temperature or cold beef broth. Add to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes.
You can vary the heat by adding more or less Gochujang. If the finished dish isn’t quite spicy enough, sprinkle it with crushed red pepper flakes. I especially love Korean red pepper flakes with this recipe.
More Slow Cooker Beef Recipes
- Spicy Mongolian Beef and Pineapples
- Slow Cooker Swiss Steak
- Slow Cooker Beef and Noodles with Mushrooms
- Slow Cooker Ropa Vieja
- 3/4 cup beef broth, divided
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 to 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon minced ginger
- 2 to 3 tablespoons Gochujang
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 to 4 pounds boneless beef chuck roast, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- sliced green onions and sesame seeds
- Mix together 1/2 cup beef broth and next 9 ingredients in a 6-quart slow cooker.
- Add beef cubes. Stir to coat the beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 7 to 8 hours.
- Stir together cornstarch and remaining 1/4 cup broth. Add to slow cooker.Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes.
- Shred the beef a little and serve over rice. Garrnish with green onions and sesame seeds.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from: ihearteating.com