Spicy Mongolian Beef and Pineapple made in a crock pot has such a great blend of sweet and spicy flavor and the meat gets super tender from slow cooking. This recipe is sure to become a family favorite!
You can find this recipe along with many more in my friend Kelly Kwok’s new cookbook The Asian Slow Cooker: Exotic Favorites for Your Crockpot.
You may already be familiar with Kelly from her popular food blog, Life Made Sweeter. I’ve been a reader of Kelly’s blog for several years. She always has the most gorgeous desserts. But I’m really excited she wrote a slow cooker cookbook. I love using my crockpot and good slow cooker cookbooks are few and far between.
Kelly has taken favorite childhood recipes and adapted them to fit the needs of the busy cook in her debut cookbook.
Lots of times, you think of slow cooker food as being bland and one dimensional, but Kelly’s recipes include ingredients like miso paste, ginger, and Sriracha for lots of depth of flavor.
There are 80 delectable Asian dishes and desserts all together, plus beautiful color photographs. The recipes can either be made in a crockpot or JUST ONE POT.
The recipes are arranged into 8 chapters:
- Ditch the Takeout
- 5 Ingredients or Less
- One Pot & Skillet Meals
- Skip the Stovetop
- Fiery Favorites
- Meatless Mondays
- Sensational Desserts
- Delectable Desserts
There are so many recipes I want to try including Dan Dan Noodles, Beef Chow Fun Stir-Fried Rice Noodles, and Lemon Chicken.
If they are anything like this Spicy Mongolian Beef with Pineapple, they will deserve a place on our regular dinner rotation.
Mongolian Beef has always been one of my favorite Asian dishes but until I tried Kelly’s recipe, I had never made it in a crock pot. It’s made with thin slices of flank steak that are coated in cornstarch and seared briefly in a pan. Then they slow cook with a super flavorful sauce made from soy sauce, hoisin sauce, beef broth, Thai sweet chili sauce, ginger, garlic, and red chili flakes.
I love the addition of pineapple chunks and shredded carrots. The sauce gets super thick and really coats the beef well. You are going to love this slow cooker meal!
More Asian Style Recipes
- 1/2 cup plus 1 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon baking soda, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut across the grain into thin strips
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 2/3 cup low sodium beef broth
- 1/3 cup lightly packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1 tablespoon Thai sweet red chili sauce
- 1/4-1/2 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes, to taste
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons cool water
- 1/2 cup shredded or matchstick carrots
- 1 cup pineapple chunks, fresh or canned
- 1/4 cup pineapple juice
- cooked rice, for serving
- 2 green onions, optional, sliced thinly
- sesame seeds, optional
- In a large zip-top bag, toss together 1/2 cup cornstarch, baking soda, salt and pepper. Add beef and give it a shake to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Sear the beef for about 1 to 2 minutes on both sides and add to slow cooker.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the soy sauce, broth, sugar, hoisin sauce, chili sauce, chili flakes, garlic and ginger until dissolved and pour over the beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for about 3 to 4 hours.
- About 30 minutes prior to serving, whisk together remaining cornstarch with water in a small bowl and stir into the slow cooker along with the carrots, pineapples, and pineapple juice.
- Cover with lid, turn heat to HIGH and allow the sauce to cook and thicken up for about 20 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice and garnish with green onions and sesame seeds, if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: The Asian Slow Cooker
Origianally posted November 10, 2016.