Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage is slow cooked all day with beer, beef broth, potatoes, and carrots. Serve it with a side of homemade Soda Bread for a delicious St Patrick’s Day meal.
This Slow Cooker Corned Beef and Cabbage is so easy and flavorful. After 9 hours in the crock pot, the corned beef brisket slices really easily and is so tender and juicy. Corned Beef cooks so wonderfully in the slow cooker that I tend not to cook it any other way. It is a tough cut of meat, but the slow cooking process turns it into butter.
- Place the corned beef brisket in the crock pot fat side up.
- You want a layer of fat on top, but if there is a lot, trim a little off so your vegetables won’t get greasy.
- Your brisket should come with a packet of seasoning. If it doesn’t, add a tablespoon of pickling seasoning, some peppercorns, and a bay leaf.
- If you add the potatoes and carrots at the begining, they will get very soft, some will say mushy. I like them this way because they soak up so much flavor. If you don’t want them really soft, add them halfway through the cooking time.
- For beer, the obvious choice is Guinness, but it tends to add a really strong flavor to the vegetables. I prefer a lighter beer. You can use any type of beer that you like as long as it is not too hoppy.
- You can leave the beer out if you don’t like to cook with alcohol and it will still be delicious.
- Be sure to cut the corned beef against the grain.
- If your meat is still tough at the end of the cooking time, you need to cook it longer.
If you have leftovers, try this Corned Beef Grilled Cheese.
Try These Other Irish Recipes That Are Perfect For St. Partick’s Day:
- 3 large carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 8 medium red potatoes, cut in half
- 1 (4-pound) corned beef brisket with spice packet
- 1 (14-ounce) can beef broth
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup beer
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1/2 a medium cabbage, coarsely chopped
- Place carrots, onion, and potatoes in a 6-quart slow cooker. Place corned beef on top.
- Add broth, water, beer, and brown sugar. Sprinkle the packet of seasoning on the corned beef.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
- Remove the potatoes and carrots and add the cabbage. Cover and cook on LOW for 1 more hour.
Want to Save This Recipe?