Mocha Pecan Pie has a rich, deep chocolate and coffee flavor. It makes an amazing holiday pie.
The chocolate flavor comes from 3 ounces of unsweetened chocolate and the coffee flavor comes from kahlua and espresso powder. These flavors perfectly enhance the buttery crunch of pecans and this pie is not at all lacking in pecans. There’s a full two cups. One cup of chopped pecans mixed into the filling and 1 cup of whole pecans arranged as a top layer.
This pie tastes even better topped with fresh whipped cream or vanilla ice cream. Typically pecan pie is extraordinarily sweet. This one is plenty sweet, but the coffee flavor helps tame the sweetness some.
Mocha Pecan Pie Recipe Tips:
You can use either a homemade pie dough for this recipe or a refrigerated pie crust such as Pillsbury.
The pie crust does not need to be prebaked, but I do recommend refrigerating it for 30 minutes once you fit it in the pie plate. Ensuring it is well chilled before it goes in the oven will help keep it from sliding down the sides of the pie plate as it bakes.
If you don’t have a bottle of Kahlua and you’re wondering if it’s worth it to buy a bottle to use just 2 tablespoons for this recipe, do it. Adding a splash of Kahlua to my coffee on the weekends during the winter is something that helps get me through my least favorite season. It feels like such a special treat. Plus there are so many great cocktails you can make with Kahlua.
Leftovers can be stored at room temperature or in the refrigerator and served chilled, at room temperature, or warm.
Try These Other Pecan Pie Recipes:
Mocha Pecan Pie
- pie dough for 9-inch pie
- 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate, chopped
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons kahlua
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons espresso powder
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup pecan halves
- Fit pie dough into 9-inch pie pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine chopped chocolate and butter in small heavy-bottomed saucepan. Heat over low heat and stir frequently until melted. Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk together eggs, kahlua, granulated sugar, brown sugar, corn syrup, and salt.
- Add the chocolate mixture and whisk until combined.
- Stir in chopped pecans.
- Remove pie crust from refrigerator. Crimp the edges and pour the filling in. Arrange the pecan halves on top of the pie.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes or until just barely set in center. Let cool completely before slicing.