Grilled peaches topped with mascarpone whipped cream and a caramel drizzle is a fruit dessert that’s like summer in a bowl. This dessert is wonderful to add to a summer cookout menu. It’s simple and easy and takes advantage of in-season peaches, one of the best things about summer in the south.
The mascarpone whipped cream can be made ahead of time and the peaches can be placed on the grill with burgers or hot dogs or whatever you are grilling for your meal.
You want to use medium ripe peaches. If they’re too ripe they might get mushy and fall apart when grilled. Not ripe enough and they will be like rocks, without any flavor or sweetness.
As the peaches grill, they will get tender and sweeten up some.
To add some flavor contrast, I sprinkled the peaches with ground cinnamon and ancho chili powder before I grilled them. Ancho chili powder is a great spice to use with sweeter foods because it has lots of smokiness and a slightly sweet and fruity flavor, but not much heat. It’s perfectly suitable as a flavor enhancer for just about any food cooked on the grill.
If you haven’et made mascarpone whipped cream before, it is the stuff that dreams are made of. Thicker and creamier than whipped cream on its own.
Drizzle some store bought or homemade caramel sauce on top for a sweet and delicious grilled fruit dessert.
- 4 medium-ripe peaches, cut in half and pits removed
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ⅛ teaspoon ancho chili powder
- ½ cup mascarpone cheese
- ½ cup chilled whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- ½ cup caramel sauce (store bought or homemade)
- mint for garnish
- Heat grill to medium. Sprinkle cinnamon and ancho chili powder on cut sides of peaches.
- Place peaches cut side down on grill and grill for 4 to 5 minutes. Flip over and grill another 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from grill and place on a serving platter.
- Using an electric mixer, beat mascarpone cheese and whipping cream until the mixture starts to thicken. While continuing to beat, gradually add sugar. Keep beating until mixture is fairly stiff. Chill until ready to use.
- To serve, place a large spoonful of mascarpone cream where the pit was on each peach and drizzle with desired amount of caramel sauce.