Want a special chocolate treat for Valentine’s Day or another special occasion?
How about a creamy chocolate cheesecake with not only a gooey coconut pecan frosting on top, but a layer in the middle of the cheesecake for double the coconut and pecan goodness. This German Chocolate Cheesecake is pure dessert heaven.
German Chocolate anything is A-OK in my book. I’ve even made German Chocolate Pancakes before.
P.S. They’re incredible.
This is a totally decadent cheesecake.
I mean, a plain chocolate cheesecake is already completely irresistible right?
But throw in a gooey frosting loaded with toasted coconut and pecans and you have a totally over the top dessert that you won’t soon forget.
I love the contrast between the creamy, smooth cheesecake and the crunch of the coconut and pecans.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
German Chocolate Cheesecake has a layer of coconut and pecan frosting on top and in the middle for double the coconut and pecan goodness.
- 1 1/2 cups finely crushed oreo cookies, about 20 cookies
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 (7-ounce) package shredded sweetened coconut
- 1 1/2 cups chopped pecans
- 10 tablespoons butter
- 1 (12-ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 6 ounces semi-sweet chocolate, chopped
- 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 4 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cookie crumbs and butter. Transfer to a 9-inch springform pan. Press firmly onto the bottom and 1/4-inch up the sides. Place in oven for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Spread coconut and pecans out on a large baking sheet. Place in oven for 10 minutes to toast. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, bring butter, evaporated milk, brown sugar, and egg yolks to a boil. Boil for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla extract, coconut and pecans. Set aside.
- Melt chocolate and let cool slightly.
- Using an electric mixer, beat cream cheese until smooth.
- Beat in sugar and then flour and cocoa powder.
- Beat in eggs one at a time, stopping to scrape down sides of bowl.
- Beat in chocolate, vanilla, and heavy cream just until incorporated.
- Spread half of cheesecake mixture on top of oreo crust. Cover with a little over half of the Coconut-Pecan Frosting. It's easiest if you use a spoon to drop spoonfuls of frosting all over the cheesecake layer and then gently smooth them to form an even layer of frosting.
- Pour remaining cheesecake mixture on top and smooth with a spatula.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in a 325 degree oven for 60 minutes. Turn oven off, crack door open and leave cheesecake in oven for 60 more minutes.
- Set cheesecake on counter, run a knife around the edges, and remove sides of springform pan.
- Spread remaining frosting on top. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
You Might also Like:
More Cheesecake Recipes
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.