Chocolate Peanut Butter Fun Cake is purely magical for lovers of chocolate and peanut butter. A moist and delicious chocolate cake is topped with a buttery and luscious peanut butter frosting.
I love how the top of the cake looks covered in peanuts and chopped semi-sweet chocolate.
The cake batter is made from all-purpose flour, sugar, cocoa powder, vegetable oil, water, and finely chopped chocolate. With two types of chocolate, this cake is not lacking in chocolate flavor.
Incidentally, the cake batter itself is vegan (although the frosting is not). But if you needed to bake a vegan cake, this batter would be a good one to pair with another frosting.
The cake does bake up a little bit crumbly in texture, but not at all dry. But it is hard to eat without making a mess. You definitely can’t sneak a piece without leaving a trail. 😉
The peanut butter frosting is light and luscious and is not your typical buttercream frosting. It’s made from sugar, egg whites, peanut butter, and butter and it pairs perfectly with the cake.
If you’re looking for a chocolate-peanut butter dessert, this cake has fun written all over it!
Try These Other Chocolate and Peanut Butter Desserts:
- Peanut Butter Mississippi Mud Brownies
- Peanut Butter Cup Cake
- Double Frosted Peanut Butter Brownies
- Chocolate and Peanut Butter Mousse Cheesecake
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate (3 1/2 ounces)
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup egg whites (2 large egg whites)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter cut into 1/4-inch cubes, chilled
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup finely chopped semi-sweet chocolate
- 1/4 cup chopped dry-roasted peanuts
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat an 8-inch square pan with cooking spray. Line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa powder, salt, and baking soda.
- Add oil, vanilla extract and 1 1/4 cups water and stir until smooth. Fold in 1/2 cup chopped chocolate.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes. Cool completely in pan.
- To make frosting, combine sugar and egg whites in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water. Continuously whisk until sugar dissolves and mixture is hot to the touch, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Transfer mixture to the bowl of an electric stand mixer and beat with whisk attachment until cool and thick, about 5-6 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla extract and then peanut butter.
- With mixer on medium-high, add butter pieces a few at a time. Beat until butter is completely incorporated. Add a pinch of salt.
- Run a knife around edges of cake and turn it out onto a plate or cake stand. Peel parchment paper off and top with frosting, chopped chocolate, and peanuts.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Slightly adapted from Epicurious.
More Chocolate and Peanut Butter Favorites
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.