Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole is super easy to throw together for a weekend breakfast. This Sausage Tater Tot Casserole is full of cheese, sausage, and eggs making it a one dish meal.
The tater tots are placed on top of everything else so that they brown and crisp up nicely without any precooking. In addition to cheese mixed into the casserole, there’s also plenty of gooey, melted cheese on top. This is sure to be a breakfast the whole family will want to dig into.
Easy To Make With Pre-cooked Sausage
What makes this Breakfast Tater Tot Casserole so easy to prepare is Johnsonville Fully Cooked Breakfast Sausage. It comes in both patties which I love to use for these Breakfast Sliders and links, which I have sliced up and used for this casserole.
Fully Cooked Breakfast Sausage makes breakfast so easy. Ready in only 30 seconds, these sausage links have that bold Johnsonville flavor that you love. Whether your morning schedule is super hectic and you serve them with some scrambled eggs for a breakfast that is ready in just a few minutes, or you use them to whip up a breakfast casserole on a more leisurely morning, you’ll love the flavor of these Johnsonville sausages.
I know I do. 🙂
Do I Have To Use Pre-Cooked Sausage Links?
No, you can use any type of sausage for this recipe. You can use the pre-cooked patties and cut them into bite-sized pieces. Or you can use uncooked sausage. If using uncooked sausage, you will need to cook it first. To use ground breakfast sausage, cook and crumble it in a nonstick skillet.
Prepare In Advance?
This casserole can be prepped a day in advance. Wait to add the tater tots until just before placing the casserole in the oven so they don’t get soggy.
Make It Spicy
To make this Sausage Tater Tot Casserole spicy, add 1 finely chopped jalapeno and a pinch or two of cayenne pepper.
No Need To Thaw The Tater Tots
You don’t have to worry about thawing the tater tots. Just add the frozen tater tots to the casserole. So easy! I use the mini tater tots. The casserole may take a llittle longer to cook with the regular-size tater tots.
Not only is this casserole quick and easy to throw together, it feeds a crowd and leftovers reheat well.
Storage and How To Reheat
Leftover breakfast casserole will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3 days and can be reheated in a 350 degree oven. I don’t recommend reheating it in the microwave because the tater tots will get soggy.
Can You Freeze This Sausage Tater Tot Casserole?
Yes! You can freeze it before or after baking. If freezing it before, don’t add the tater tots. Just freeze the egg and sausage mixture part and add the tater tots just before baking. You will want to thaw it overnight in the refrigerator before baking.
To freeze a whole casserole after baking, cool it completely and then wrap it well and freeze up to 2 months. Thaw in the refrigerator overnight.
Individual leftover slices can be frozen. Wrap in foil and place in a freezer bag.
To learn more about Johnsonville Fully Cooked Breakfast Sausage visit Johnsonville.com.
More Amazing Breakfast Casserole Recipes
- Loaded Tater Tot Breakfast Casserole
- Sausage and Crescent Roll Casserole
- Breakfast Biscuit Bubble Up
- Ham and Cheese Hash Brown Casserole
- Overnight Sausage and Caramelized Onion Breakfast Casserole
- 8 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 packages Johnsonville Fully Cooked Breakfast Sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 package frozen mini tater tots
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9X13-inch baking pan.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, milk, salt, pepper, and onion powder.
- Slice sausage into 1/2-inch slices. Add to egg mixture.
- Stir 1/2 of cheese into egg mixture.
- Pour egg mixture into baking pan.
- Spread tater tots evenly on top.
- Season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Place in oven and bake for 40 to 50 minutes.
- Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Place back in oven for 5 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted September 14, 2016.