Firecracker Pretzel Rods make a fun 4th of July activity and treat for kids. Not only do they have a fun and festive look, they taste great too.
The pretzel rods are dipped in melted white chocolate and then decorated with red and blue mini M&Ms, sprinkles, and Pop Rocks! As you eat them, the Pop Rocks make multiple mini explosions in your mouth.
You can order red and blue M&Ms online, but I just bought a bag at the grocery store and we sorted out the red and blue ones. The brown, orange, yellow, and green became a snack while we sorted them.
I ordered red and blue Pop Rocks, but I soon found that the blue tends to turn green in color. 🙁
If I were to make these again, I would only purchase red Pop Rocks. You can probably find them at your local convenience store, so no need to order a big box of them like I did.
You can melt the white chocolate in a double boiler, a mini crock pot, or the microwave. I almost always melt chocolate in a small All-Clad saucepan that has a really heavy bottom. I place it on one of the small burners on my gas cook top turned as low as it will go and I’ve never burned any chocolate this way. It is so much easier than using a double broiler. As long as you have a saucepan with a really thick and heavy bottom and the ability to turn your burner to really low heat, you should have success doing it this way. Just make sure you give it a quick stir every 30 seconds or so.
The pops of explosion in your mouth make Firecracker Pretzel Rods the perfect 4th of July party treat!
Sign up Here for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1 package pretzel rods
- 1 package white chocolate candy melts or white Almond Bark
- red and blue mini M&Ms
- red and blue sprinkles
- 4 packages red Pop Rocks
- Line a baking sheet with wax paper.
- Melt candy melts in a double boiler or using the microwave.
- Dip about 2/3 of a pretzel rod in melted white chocolate. It may be easier to pour the chocolate into a tall mug to do this. If the chocolate starts to get too thick, microwave it for 20 seconds.
- Place on waxed paper. You will need the chocolate to set slightly before the M&Ms will adhere well. Decorate with sprinkles, Pop Rocks, and M&Ms.
- Repeat with remaining pretzel rods.
Want to Save This Recipe?
More 4th of July Treats
Disclosure: This post may contain amazon.com affiliate links.