Chocolate Velvet Dessert is a creamy and rich tart with a chocolate cookie crumb crust, a smooth and decadent chocolate filling, and a chocolate buttercream frosting. Using a pastry bag with a large star tip to apply the frosting really gives it an impressive look.
Because this tart is so rich, a little goes a long way. You can easily feed at least 12 people with it.
It would be perfect for a special occasion, like a graduation.
Equipment Needed For Chocolate Velvet Dessert
- 9-inch Springform Pan
- Pastry Bag- I love to buy disposable pastry bags. They are inexpensive and a huge time save. Pastry bags are no fun to clean.
- Large Star Tip
What Are Chocolate Wafer Crumbs?
For the crust, I use Nabisco Famous Chocolate Wafers. They are thin chocolate cookies. To turn them into crumbs, either porcess them in a food processor or place them in a large ziptop bag and crush them with a rolling pin or heavy pan.
This chocolate tart can be stored at room temperature for a few days. Any longer than that, it should be refrigerated. Take it out of the refrigerator an hour or two before serving.
More Chocolate Desserts
- Chocolate Poke Cake– easy to make with a box of cake mix.
- Chocolate Chess Pie
- Chocolate Cake with Cream Filling– This three layer chocolate cake has a whipped cream filling and chocolate icing.
- Nutella Chocolate Cake
- Easy Death By Chocolate Cake– 2 layers of fudgy chocolate cake, lots of mini chocolate chips, a creamy chocolate frosting and a ganache.
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Sheet Cake– an old-fashioned southern favorite.
Enjoy each and every day, celebrate life, and eat lots of chocolate.
- 2 cups chocolate wafer crumbs
- 2 1/2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/3 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups semisweet chocolate chips (12 ounces)
- 6 egg yolks
- 1-3/4 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3-4 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together cookie crumbs and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in melted butter.
- Transfer mixture to a 9-inch springform pan and press onto bottom and 1 1/2 inches up sides.
- Place on a baking sheet and bake in oven for 10 minutes. Let cool.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl and heat at 20 second intervals until they get completely smooth when stirred. Let cool a few minutes.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together egg yolks, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.
- While whisking, gradually pour melted chocolate into egg mixture. Once all chocolate has been added, whisk until completely combined. Pour into prepared crust and bake in 350 degree oven for 45 to 50 minutes. Center should almost be set.
- Let cool 10 minutes and then run a knife around the edges of the pan. Let cool to room temperature and then refrigerate overnight.
- To make the buttercream, beat butter with an electric mixer until smooth. Gradually add in confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder, and milk. Add enough milk to make it a consistency that is good for piping (thick enough that it holds its form, but not so thick that it is difficult to squeeze out of the piping bag.
- Use a pastry bag with a large star tip to pipe stars all over the top.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Adapted from Taste of Home
Originally posted May 1, 2015.