Spicy Marinated Mozzarella- these olive-oil marinated mozzarella balls are flavored with sun-dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, garlic, and lots of herbs. They also have a nice spicy kick from crushed red pepper flakes.
Spicy Marinated Mozzarella is an easy, make-ahead party appetizer. Serve with some crusty fresh bread to mop up the flavored oil. So good! They are also great to add to a charcuterie board. Leftovers are delicious on a green salad.
WHAT TYPE OF OLIVE OIL TO USE?
You want to use a good quality olive oil because it is one of the dominant flavors. I recommend a cold-pressed, organic extra-virgin olive oil. Preferences vary when it comes to olive oil. I suggest going to a store that specializes in olive oil. They usually let you sample them. I prefer a fruity olive oil or a peppery olive oil for this recipe.
- Mozzarella balls come in different sizes. You can use any size you like.
- Be sure to drain the mozzarella balls well before adding them to the marinade.
- You need to marinate the mozzarella balls for at least 1 hour and up to 24 hours. The olive oil can solidify in the refrigerator. Remove the mozzarella balls from the refrigerator 1 hour before serving and the olive oil will liquify.
- I like to use a combination of fresh garlic and garlic powder for lots of garlic flavor.
- For herbs, I like a combination of basil, oregano, chives, and parsley. Fresh basil and oregano can be used instead of dried.
More Great Appetizer Recipes:
- BLT Dip
- Tuscan Chicken Pinwheels
- Roasted Jalapeno Pimento Cheese
- Bacon Wrapped Stuffed Dates
- Sweet Little Smokies Rolls
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in oil
- 1/4 cup chopped kalamata olives
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 pound mozzarella balls or block mozzarella cut into squares
- Combine all ingredients except mozzarella in a large plastic bag.
- Add mozzarella, seal bag and shake to coat well.
- Let marinate at least 1 hour. It should be stored in the refrigerator. The olive oil may solidify. Let it sit at room temperature for 1 hour before serving and it will liquify.
- Serve with toothpicks.
Want to Save This Recipe?