Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew with lots of chicken and pulled pork is a real crowd pleaser. Brunswick Stew is a classic southern food and it lends itself well to being slow cooked in a crock pot. All of the different flavors really blend well when they are slow cooked.
Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew makes a satisfying and filling weeknight meal and leftovers can easily be frozen. This recipe makes a large amount.
There are many versions of Brunswick Stew. Historically it was made with squirrel, rabbit, or possum. I prefer to use a combination of chicken and pork. The broth is tomato-based with lots of bbq sauce for flavor.
There are lots of veggies in Brunswick Stew. I like to use lima beans, corn, and okra plus some diced potato. Green beans are also frequently used.
I like my Brunswick Stew spicy so I serve it with lots of hot sauce. For a full southern meal, serve with some Hot Water Cornbread.
When you need an easy, filling meal to feed a lot of people, you can’t go wrong with Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew. If you want to make Brunswick Stew without a slow cooker, try this Easy Brunswick Stew.
Note: Leftovers can be refrigerated in an airtight conatiner for 4 to 5 days or frozen.
More Slow Cooker Favorites
Watch the short video below to see how easy this recipe is to make.
Slow Cooker Brunswick Stew
- 1 medium red potato, diced
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken
- 1 pound pulled pork
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen lima beans
- 1 1/2 cups frozen corn
- 1 1/2 cups frozen sliced okra
- 1 cup BBQ sauce, I use Sweet Baby Rays
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 (8-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- Place the potato in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave for 3 to 4 minutes or until partially cooker. Note: This step is necessary because potatoes take a much longer time to cook in the slow cooker than the other ingredients.
- Combine all ingredients in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Stir to mix.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 5 hours.
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.