Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins have a pillowy, light texture and a buttery cinnmon sugar coating. It’s a terrific fall recipe!
In addition to the cinnamon sugar coating, the muffins are wonderfully flavored with fall spices: cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves. They smell delightful. Like most muffins, they are fabulously easy to make.
How To Make
(More detailed directions below.)
- Grease the muffin tin and preheat the oven.
- Whisk together the dry ingredients in a medium bowl.
- Whisk together pumpkin, buttermilk, and vanilla in a large glass measuring cup. (Or you can use a bowl.)
- Beat butter and brown sugar in a large bowl until light and fluffy. You can use a hand-held mixer or a stand mixer with a paddle attachment.
- Beat in the eggs.
- Add flour mixture in 3 additions, alternating with buttermilk mixtures in 2 additions.
- Divided batter between muffin cups and bake for 22 to 28 minutes.
- Cool muffins 5 to 10 minutes. Dip them in melted butter and then roll them in cinnamon-sugar.
Pumpkin Doughnut Muffins Recipe Tips
Be sure to measure the flour properly. You want to fluff the flour up some so it is not packed down and then use a large spoon to fill the measuring cup. Run the back of a knife across the top of the measuring cup to get rid of excess flour.
You want to use canned pumpkin, NOT pumpkin pie filling.
If you don’t have any buttermilk, you can mix together 1/3 cup of milk with 1 teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice. Let sit 5 minutes.
Will keep at room temperature for 1 day in a ziplock bag. Best eaten shortly after baking.
More Muffin Recipes To Try
- Apple Butter Muffins
- Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Cherry Chocolate Chip Muffins
- Pumpkin Butterscotch Muffins
- Old-Fashioned Doughnut Muffins
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/3 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 cups canned pumpkin
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 10 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
Cinnamon Sugar Coating
- 4 tablespoons salted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 12-cup muffin tin with baking spray with flour.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, nutmeg, and cloves. Set aside.
- Whisk together buttermilk, pumpkin, and vanilla extract in a large liquid measuring cup. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat softened butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time.
- Beat in flour in thirds, alternating with the buttermilk mixture in 2 additions.
- Divide the batter between the 12 muffin cups.Bake for 22 to 28 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let muffins cool in pan for 5 to 10 minutes.Combine granulated sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
- Dip muffins in melted butter and coat in cinnamon sugar.
Want to Save This Recipe?