Overnight Eggnog Coffee Cake makes a delicious holiday breakfast. The whole thing can be prepped the night before and then popped in the oven Christmas morning.
After about 33 minutes of baking, you have a warm coffee cake flavored with eggnog, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Drizzle with an easy eggnog glaze for a little extra sweetness.
Prep The Night Before
No one wants to spend a holiday morning in the kitchen. This coffee cake can be completely prepped and placed in a baking pan the night before. You’ll start by combining the streusel ingredients and then mixing together the batter. Transfer the batter to a greased 9×13-inch pan and then sprinkle the steusel on top. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
Note: You can bake it right away if you wish. Decrease the baking time slightly.
After baking, to finish off the coffee cake, drizzle it with an easy 2-ingredient glaze. Place 1 cup of powdered sugar in a small bowl and whisk in 2 to 3 tablespoons of eggnog. You want it thin enough that it’s easy to drizzle, but thick enough that it doesn’t totally sink into the coffee cake.
Lots Of Eggnog Flavor
One cup of eggnog in the batter gives this coffee cake lots of eggnog flavor. Plus there’s 1 teaspoon of rum extract to enhance the eggnog’s flavor. Cinnamon and nutmeg in the streusel nicely complement the flavor of the eggnog. If you don’t have rum extract, you can use vanilla extract instead.
More Coffee Cake Recipes We Love
- Cinnamon Caramel Applesauce Coffee Cake
- Crescent Roll Coffee Cake
- Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake
- Vintage Coffee Cake
- Apple Crisp Coffee Cake
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup salted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 cup eggnog
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons eggnog
- Combine all streusel ingredients in a small bowl. Mix with a fork until crumbly. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- Use an electric mixer to beat butter and granulated sugar until light and creamy.
- Beat in eggs one at a time and then rum extract.
- With mixer on low, beat in eggnog and then sour cream.
- Add flour mixture and beat on low until mixed in.
- Transfer batter to a greased 9×13-inch baking dish.Sprinkle streusel on top.
- Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.Note: You can bake it right away if you choose. It will cook a little faster so check it after about 28 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Remove plastic wrap and bake for 33 to 38 minutes.
- To make glaze, whisk together powdered sugar and eggnog. Drizzle on coffee cake.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe adapted from Betty Crocker