German Chocolate Brownies topped with a layer of cheesecake will be a big hit with coconut/chocolate lovers. Very easy to make!
The brownie layer is made with a box of German Chocolate cake mix with a few pecans and some shredded coconut added in for more german chocolate goodness. With only 4 ingredients in the cheesecake layer, this delicious dessert is simple to make but looks super impressive once dressed up with some whipped cream, grated chocolate, and toasted coconut.
I love the combination of chocolate on the bottom and cheesecake on top. As a child I hated coconut, but I have really became a fan of it in the last few years. I’ve always liked the flavor, and I’ve loved coconut milk (the thick, creamy kind) for many years. But I had always struggled with the texture of shredded coconut. Somehow, I made myself get used to it. I was missing out on too many good desserts otherwise!
If you’re a German Chocolate lover, check out these German Chocolate Bars. They are gooey, with lots of caramel flavor and a buttery shortbread crust.
German Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies Recipe Tips:
- Be sure to let the cream cheese sit out for a good while to soften or it will be lumpy when you beat it.
- To toast the coconut, put the desired amount in a nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until browned.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Try These Other Delicious German Chocolate Desserts:
- German Chocolate Cheesecake
- German Chocolate Upside-Down Cake
- German Chocolate Fudge
- German Chocolate-Red Velvet Cake
German Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, toasted coconut, and grated chocolate for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, coconut, pecans, melted butter, and 1 egg. Use a fork to combine until crumbly. Mixture will be dry. Press into the bottom of a 9X13-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, remaining 2 eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Spread over cake mix layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until center is set. Let cool completely. Cut into squares and garnish with whipped cream, toasted coconut, and grated chocolate.
Recipe Source: slightly adapted from Taste of the South March/April 2012
Originally published January 9, 2014.