German Chocolate Brownies topped with a layer of cheesecake will be a big hit with coconut/chocolate lovers. These double layer bars are very easy to make!
Two Delicious Layers
The brownie layer is made with a box of German Chocolate cake mix with a few pecans and some shredded coconut added in for more german chocolate goodness. With only 4 ingredients in the cheesecake layer, this delicious dessert is simple to make but looks super impressive once dressed up with some whipped cream, grated chocolate, and toasted coconut.
I love the combination of chocolate on the bottom and cheesecake on top. As a child I hated coconut, but I have really became a fan of it in the last few years. I’ve always liked the flavor, and I’ve loved coconut milk (the thick, creamy kind) for many years. But I had always struggled with the texture of shredded coconut. Somehow, I made myself get used to it. I was missing out on too many good desserts otherwise!
If you’re a German Chocolate lover, check out these German Chocolate Bars. They are gooey, with lots of caramel flavor and a buttery shortbread crust.
- 9×13-inch Baking Dish– metal is best for baking. You can use glass but you may need to increase the baking time slightly.
- Hand-Held or Stand Electric Mixer
German Chocolate Cheesecake Brownies Recipe Tips
- Be sure to let the cream cheese sit out for a good while to soften or it will be lumpy when you beat it.
- To toast the coconut, put the desired amount in a nonstick skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently until browned.
- Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for 3 to 5 days.
Try These Other Delicious German Chocolate Desserts:
- German Chocolate Cheesecake
- German Chocolate Upside-Down Cake
- German Chocolate Fudge
- German Chocolate-Red Velvet Cake
- White German Chocolate Cake
- 1 (15.25-ounce) box German chocolate cake mix
- 3/4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- 1/2 cup finely chopped pecans
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 large eggs, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Whipped cream, toasted coconut, and grated chocolate for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl, combine cake mix, coconut, pecans, melted butter, and 1 egg. Use a fork to combine until crumbly. Mixture will be dry. Press into the bottom of a 9X13-inch pan. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, remaining 2 eggs, and vanilla.
- Beat at medium speed with a mixer until smooth. Spread over cake mix layer.
- Bake 25 to 30 minutes, until center is set. Let cool completely. Cut into squares and garnish with whipped cream, toasted coconut, and grated chocolate.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: slightly adapted from Taste of the South March/April 2012
Originally published January 9, 2014.