Dark Chocolate Pie is a rich pie with a silky filling that’s full of chocolate flavor. Serve with a dollop of fresh whipped cream sprinkled with a few chocolate chips for an unbelievably easy dessert.
Simple Filling With Lots Of Chocolate Flavor
This pie is simple to make and the filling sets up really well. The dark chocolate flavor comes from dark chocolate chips. Be sure to use good quality chocolate chips. I like Hershey’s or Ghiradelli.
Except for the pie crust, this is a no-bake pie. The thick, custard filling is easy to make on the stovetop. It’s a simple mixture of sugar, cornstarch, salt, egg yolks, milk, butter, vanilla, and dark chocolate chips.
Dark Chocolate Pie Recipe Tips
You can use a homemade pie crust, a refrigerated pie crust, or a frozen one. You will need pie weights or dried beans to cook the pie crust. They help weigh it down so that it does not puff up as it cooks. I use dried lima beans. They can be used over and over again for this purpose.
This pie is also really good in a graham cracker crust.
To make this pie Christmasy, try adding a touch of peppermint extract to the filling.
If you’re not a fan of dark chocolate, try semi-sweet chocolate.
Once you pour the pie in the filling, cover the surface with plastic wrap. This will prevent a film from forming on top.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about 4 days.
Dark Chocolate Pie is a great make-ahead pie for the holidays.
Try These Other Easy Pie Recipes
Dark Chocolate Pie
- pie dough for a 9-inch pie, either homemade or store-bought
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 egg yolks
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups dark chocolate chips, divided
- whipped cream for serving
- If using homemade pie dough, roll out into a circle and fit into a 9-inch pie pan.If using refrigerated pie dough, unroll and fit into a 9-inch pie pan.Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Tuck under any excess dough that hangs over the edge or cut it off. Crimp the sides of the dough to form a scalloped edge. Pierce the bottom and sides with a fork.
- Cover the pie crust with a double layer of aluminum foil and fill with pie weights or dried beans.Place in oven for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove the beans and foil and return to the oven for another 10 to 12 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together the sugar, cornstarch and salt.
- Whisk together the egg yolks and milk. Gradually pour the milk mixture into the sugar mixture, whisking while you do so. Place over medium heat. Whisk continuously until mixture comes to a boil. Boil and stir for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and stir in the butter and vanilla.Add 1 3/4 cups of chocolate chips and stir until completely melted.
- Pour mixture into the pie crust. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing onto the surface of the pie.Let cool on counter for 30 minutes.Refrigerate until firm and chilled.
- To serve, cut into slices and top with whipped cream and remaining chocolate chips.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1 thought on “Dark Chocolate Pie”
Super simple to make, and the results are scrumptious!! Smooth, creamy, and rich chocolate taste. I will be making this chocolate pie many more times. Thanks for sharing!🤗