Cream Cheese Sheet Cake with Chocolate Icing has a wonderfully dense and rich texture and a wonderfully sweet, fudge icing. This easy to make cake will disappear in a hurry.
I love making sheet cakes. They are so much easier to make than layer cakes but every bit as delicious.
This cake is great for company, a cookout, potluck, or picnic. The cream cheese in the batter plus the number of eggs creates a rich, dense cake. On top of the cake is a rich, fudge frosting that’s simple to make with just 4 ingredients. I like to add a few sprinkles on top to make the cake look festive.
Cream Cheese Sheet Cake with Chocolate Icing Recipe Tips:
- Be sure to soften the butter and cream cheese and let the eggs come to room temperature. The batter will come together much easier.
- Make sure you do not overbake the cake or it will be dry.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator.
Try These Other Amazing Sheet Cake Recipes:
- Cherry Sheet Cake– maraschino cherries give this cake awesome flavor and color.
- Butermilk Sheet Cake with Caramel Icing– a super easy sheet cake version of Southern Caramel Cake.
- Strawberry Sheet Cake– So much strawberry flavor. Easy to make with a box of white cake mix.
- Peanut Butter Sheet Cake– the perfect cake for peanut butter lovers.
- Pineapple Sheet Cake– perfect for summer.
- Chocolate Mayonnaise Sheet Cake
Cream Cheese Sheet Cake with Chocolate Icing
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons salted butter, softened
- 6 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
- 6 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cake flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup evaporated milk
- 1/2 cup salted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Spray a 15x10x1-inch sheet pan with baking spray. Preheat oevn to 325 degrees.
- Using an electric mixer, cream butter, cream cheese, and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl to make sure everything is evenly mixed.
- Beat in vanilla.
- Add flour and beat until blended.
- Pour batter into prepared baking dish. Spread it evenly. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool.
- To make icing, stir together sugar and evaporated milk in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cover and turn heat down slightly so the mixture doesn't boil over. Let simmer with lid on for 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add butter and chocolate chips. Stir until melted. Let icing cool slightly and then pour evenly over cake.
- Sprinkle with sprinkles if desired.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Recipe Source: slightly adapted from Taste of Home
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.
1 thought on “Cream Cheese Sheet Cake with Chocolate Icing”
The cake is good but is way too heavy. I’ll have to freeze much of it cause a little piece goes a long way. I personally prefer light and moist cakes. The icing though, delish.