Chocolate Coconut Lush is a cool and creamy layer dessert with tons of coconut flavor. It’s a terrific potluck dessert.
The coconut flavor comes from two sources. There’s shredded coconut in both the crust and on top, plus 2 cans of coconut milk are used to make the chocolate pudding layer.
Four Easy and Delicious Layers
- The bottom is a chocolate crust with shredded coconut. Two eggs are used as binder for the crust.
- Next is a cream cheese/Cool Whip layer.
- The third layer is a chocolate pudding layer made with a box of instant chocolate pudding mix and coconut milk.
- On top is a layer of Cool Whip.
Chocolate Coconut Lush Recipe Tips
Allow a little time to make this layer dessert. It helps to refrigerate each layer before adding the next.
Can be made a day or two in advance.
Leftovers will keep in the refrigerator for about 3 days. Too much longer and the pudding starts to get a little weepy and watery.
Be sure to use canned, unsweetened coconut milk, NOT the kind found in the dairy section. It is usually found in the Asian section of the grocery store.
How To Toast Coconut
There are two easy ways to toast coconut.
- In a nonstick skillet. Place the skillet over medium-low heat and stir the coconut frequently to prevent it from burning.
- In a 350 degree oven. Spread it out on a baking sheet. Will take 8 to 10 minutes. Stir a few times during this preiod.
Try These Other Amazing Lush Recipes:
- Butterscotch Lush
- Birthday Cake Lush
- Butterfinger Chocolate and Peanut Butter Lush
- Lemon Lush
- Pistachio Lush
- Andes Mint Lush
- 1 (9-ounce) package chocolate wafer cookies
- 1 cup sweetened shredded coconut, toasted
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 (16-ounce) container Cool Whip, thawed
- 1 (5.9-ounce) box instant chocolate pudding mix
- 2 (13.66-ounce) cans unsweetened coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13-inch baking pan with cooking spray
- Place cookies in a large ziptop bag and crush with a heavy rolling pin or pan.
- In a medium bowl, stir together cookies crumbs, 1/4 cup of the toasted coconut, and eggs.Transfer to prepared baking dish and press it evenly into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake for 8 minutes and then let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl, use a hand-held mixer to beat cream cheese and confectioners' sugar until smooth. Stir in 2 cups of Cool Whip.Spread on top of cooled crust. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- After it has been in the refrigerator for 25 minutes, whisk together the pudding mix and coconut milk in a large bowl. Refrigerate for 5 minutes to thicken some.Spread on top of the cream cheese layer. Refrigerate at least 30 minutes.
- Spread remaining Cool Whip on top and sprinkle on the remaining toasted coconut.