Old-fashioned southern Vegetable Beef Soup is like a bowl full of comfort. So much flavor! As we approach the last days of summer, Vegetable Beef Soup is the perfect way to use up the last remnants of the summer garden. Pretty much any vegetable can be used in vegetable beef soup- zucchini, squash, lima beans, spinach – whatever you have on hand and you’d like to get rid of. Throw it all in the pot.
My favorite vegetables to put in this soup are corn and okra. If you don’t have fresh, frozen can be used. In fact, Vegetable Beef Soup is perfect for using up those last little bits of vegetables in your freezer.
I like chunks of sirloin steak in my Vegetable Beef Soup, but you can easily substitute ground beef.
This soup freezes really well so put some away in the freezer. A month from now when school is in full swing and you’re crunched for time, you’ll be glad you did. Add a quick grilled cheese sandwich and you have Southern comfort food at its best.
If you want you soup spicy, just add a couple shakes of Tabasco Sauce sauce or a few pinches of red pepper flakes.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable oil
- 2 pounds stew meat or top sirloin steak cut into 1-inch dice
- salt and pepper
- 2 (28-ounce) cans whole tomatoes, undrained and roughly chopped
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 2 (8-ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1½ teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup green beans trimmed and cut into 1½-inch pieces
- 1½ cups sliced okra
- kernels from 2 ears of corn
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven. Season beef with salt and pepper and cook in oil until browned on all sides.
- Add all tomatoes and tomato juice, chicken broth, onion, celery, sugar. salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, Italian seasoning, garlic powder and bay leaf.
- Bring to a boil and reduce to a low simmer for 1 hour.
- Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 1 more hour.
More Soup Recipes
This post contains affiliate links.