Southern Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy are full of sausage, scrambled eggs, tater tots, and cheese rolled up in a flour tortilla and covered with a creamy sausage gravy.
Everything tastes better with sausage gravy. 🙂
Biscuits and Gravy, along with Chicken and Waffles, is the ultimate southern breakfast. A creamy gravy with sausage crumbles is so delicious. So I thought, why not top breakfast enchiladas with sausage gravy? Seemed like a great idea and it was.
These breakfast enchiladas take a little time to prepare but they feed a crowd and are perfect for a special brunch. They also reheat well.
How To Make
You’ll have to make the sausage gravy, make the scrambled eggs, and cook the tater tots. The amazing filling includes crumbled breakfast sausage, crispy tater tots, scrambled eggs and shredded cheese.
It gets rolled up in flour tortillas and placed in a baking dish. Sausage gravy and shredded cheddar cheese cover the enchiladas and the baking dish is popped in the oven until everything is bubbly and golden.
Tips For Making Southern Breakfast Enchiladas with Sausage Gravy
- I quickly cook the tater tots in my Air Fryer.
- You can assemble the enchiladas the night before. Just add 5 to 10 minutes to the baking time.
- You can top these Breakfast Enchiladas with salsa and cilantro if you like.
- Serve with hot sauce to up the heat. I personally like Chipotle TABASCO. It is less spicy than regular TABASCO and has a great smoky flavor.
More Recipes With Sausage Gravy
- Biscuits and Gravy Casserole
- Sausage Gravy Biscuit Cups
- Sausage Gravy Stuffed Biscuits
- Biscuit and Gravy Ring
- 1 pound ground breakfast sausage
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 jalapeno, minced
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 10 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups cooked tater tots
- 1 cup shredded Pepper Jack cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 fajita-size flour tortillas
- Place sausage in a large nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Crumble it as it cooks.
- When it is about halfway cooked, add the onion and jalapeno.
- Remove 1 cup of the sausage, onion, and jalapeno mixture with a slotted sppon and set aside.
- Place the skillet back over the heat and sprinkle the flour on the remaining sausage mixture. Cook and stir for 1 minute.Gradually whisk in the milk. Simmer until thickened. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a 9×13-inch baking dish.
- Whisk eggs and season them with salt. Melt butter in a nonstick pan and scramble the eggs. Remove them from the heat when they are still slightly undercooked. They will cook more in the oven.
- In a medium bowl, combine the 1 cup of sausage mixture with the tater tots, the scrambled eggs, and half the Pepper Jack and cheddar cheese.
- Place about 1/2 cup of filling down the center of each tortilla. Roll up and place seam side down in the prepared baking dish.
- Pour sausage gravy on top. Sprinkle remaining cheese on top. Bake for 30 to 40 minutes.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally posted Octover 17, 2019.