Smothered Chicken Breasts are first pan-seared in bacon grease and then baked in a creamy mushroom sauce. Pure comfort food and perfect for a weeknight dinner.
There’s no condensed chicken soup in this from-scratch chicken dinner. One bite of this Smothered Chicken and you’ll be hooked. The chicken breasts cook up tender and moist in a richly flavored gravy.
How To Make Smothered Chicken Breasts:
Season the chicken breasts and dredge in flour. Heat the bacon grease and vegetable oil in a pan and brown the chicken on both sides. Place the chicken in a baking dish, but leave the grease in the pan.
Add the flour to the grease and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth and cook for 1 minute. Whisk in the chicken broth, the seasonings, half-and-half, mushrooms, and green onions. Simmer until thickened and pour over the chicken.
Cover with foil and bake for about 50 minutes to cook the chicken through.
Bacon Grease gives this chicken so much flavor. Whenever I cook bacon, I always save the grease. It can be refrigerated for 6 months. It can be used to cook so many things, including hash browns. I don’t add any bacon to this recipe, but you could definitely sprinkle crumbled bacon on top of the cooked dish for more bacon flavor. I don’t think anyone is going to complain about more bacon flavor.
If you want to make this dish spicy, add a pinch or two of cayenne pepper.
What to Serve With Smothered Chicken Breasts?
- Southern-Style Green Beans
- The Best Yeast Rolls
- White rice or Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes to soak up the gravy.
Smothered Chicken is down home country cooking that the whole family will enjoy.
Try These Other Comfort Food Chicken Reipes
- Easy Chicken Pot Pie
- Chicken and Dumplings
- Creamy Chicken and Rice Casserole
- Cheesy Chicken and Broccoli Casserole
Smothered Chicken Breasts
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup bacon fat
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour can use leftover flour from dredging the chicken
- 1 (14-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1 (4-ounce) can sliced mushrooms
- 2 green onions sliced
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Season chicken generously with salt and pepper and dredge in flour.
- In a large pan, heat bacon grease and vegetable oil over medium-high heat. Add chicken and brown on both sides.
- Place chicken in a greased 9X13-inch (or slightly smaller) baking pan.
- Add flour to remaining grease in pan and cook over medium heat for 1 minute, stirring.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add seasonings, half-and-half, mushrooms, and green onions. Pour sauce over chicken. Cover baking dish with aluminum foil and bake for 50 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through.
Want to Save This Recipe?
2 thoughts on “Smothered Chicken Breasts”
Better than Hattie Lou’s, and she was the BEST cook!
Awesome. Chicken tender throughout! Amazing flavor!!