Slow Cooker Cajun Turkey is slathered in butter, coated in a Cajun rub and slow cooked. Turns out wonderfully juicy and flavorful.
Make a simple but flavorful gravy from the crock pot liquid and you are well on your way to a fantastic Thanksgiving feast.
Slow Cooking Turkey
I love to slow cook turkey. It frees up oven space for all those delicious holiday casseroles, rolls, and desserts. This is the first Crock Pot Turkey I ever made. It is more of a traditional turkey. This Cajun version is great for when you want something a little spiced up.
A turkey breast is the perfect size to fit in a 6-quart or larger slow cooker. Look for a turkey breast that is 8 to 9 pounds. Slow cooked turkey turns out wonderfully juicy and there are plenty of juices to make a delicious gravy with.
How Long To Cook Slow Cooker Cajun Turkey Breast
An 8 to 9-pound bone-in turkey breast should take 5 to 6 hours to slow cook on LOW. Use an instant-read thermometer to test it after 5 hours. Turkey is done when it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
If using a frozen turkey breast, make sure to thaw it completely or it will greatly effect the cooking time.
There’s no need to baste a turkey in the slow cooker. That’s one of my favorite things about slow cooking a turkey. The crock pot does all the work for you.
Butter and Cajun Rub
A butter coating and Cajun rub give this turkey a lot more flavor than your average turkey. The rub is a little spicy. Double the amount of cayenne pepper if you want it spicier.
Crisp Up The Skin
The one draw back to slow cooking a turkey is the skin doesn’t get crispy. But that is easily rectified. Just place the turkey breast under the broiler until the skin crisps up.
What To Make With Leftover Turkey
- Turkey Corn Chowder
- Turkey Salad
- Turkey Broccoli Alfredo
- Turkey Tetrazzini
- Southwestern Turkey Rice Casserole
What To Serve With Slow Cooker Cajun Turkey
- Southern Cornbread Dressing
- Cheesy Green Bean Casserole
- The BEST Yeast Rolls
- Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes
- Loaded Broccoli Casserole
- Southern Candied Sweet Potatoes
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 (5 to 6-pound) turkey breast
- 6 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon poultry seasoning
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Place onion, carrot, and celery in the bottom of a 6-quart or larger slow cooker.
- Pat turkey dry with paper towels and then rub butter all over turkey.
- Combine all the spices together in a small bowl and then sprinkle all over turkey.
- Place turkey in slow cooker.Cover and cook on LOW for 5 to 6 hours.
- Remove turkey and strain liquid. Reserve 2 cups. If for some reason you do not have 2 cups of liquid, use chicken broth to make up the difference.
- Add flour and pepper to a medium skillet. Whisk in the 2 cups of cooking liquid. Simmer until thickened. Add salt if needed.