Sandy’s Chicken is a delicious Baked Chicken with Stuffing and Cheese. It is easy to make and one of my favorite comfort food meals. I love to serve it over egg noodles with a side of green beans or peas.
I’m not quite sure who Sandy is. I ripped this recipe out of a magazine years ago and I can’t even remember which magazine it was. Best guess is Taste of the South or Southern Lady. What I do know is this is an easy, wholesome meal. We’re talking comfort food pure and simple.
You’ll see recipes like this one in just about any community or church cookbook. That’s because it has mass appeal. 🙂
Only a few, simple ingredients are needed: Boneless chicken breasts, a can of Cream of Chicken soup ( Cream of Mushroom would work well too), cheese, stuffing mix and butter.
A combination of cheddar cheese and swiss cheese ctreates a winning flavor combined with the stuffing.
Since Sandy’s Chicken bakes in the oven, there is very little clean-up. Double or even triple the recipe and you can serve a crowd. You can clean what little mess you make prepping it while it bakes in the oven. Greet your guests with a spic-and-span kitchen. Serve with egg noodles and green beans or broccoli to round out the meal.
I like to cut chicken breasts in half horizontally to get 2 thinner pieces. Have you noticed that the chicken breasts sold today are enormous? Even the organic ones seem to be creeping up in size. Plus they are expensive if you’re feeding a crowd. Cut them in half and you still have plenty for a single portion. Especially considering a recommended portion size for chicken is 4 ounces. Most chicken breasts are double or even triple that.
And as an added bonus, the chicken will cook faster too!
You Might Also Like These Recipes:
- Instant Pot Swiss Chicken
- Creamy Baked Swiss Chicken
- Crock Pot Cheesy Stuffing Chicken
- Chicken and Stuffing Casserole
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a baking dish.
- Cut each chicken breast in half horizontally so that you have 6 thin chicken breasts.
- Place chicken in baking dish. The pieces can be touching, but try not to overlap too much.
- Spread soup evenly over chicken.
- Lay cheese slices on top, overlapping so that each piece of chicken is covered with both types of cheese.
- In a bowl, combine stuffing mix and butter. Spread on top of cheese.
- Bake uncovered 40 to 45 minutes. Serve with noodles.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published October 10, 2013.