If you are looking for a tropical dessert to celebrate the few remaining days of summer, look no further than this Pina Colada Poke Cake. This cake is absolutely made for summer time.
Exceptionally moist, it almost has the texture of a Tres Leches Cake.
This recipe uses a cake mix so it’s super quick and easy to throw together. I add some crushed pineapple to the cake mix plus I spread more pineapple on top of the baked cake.
Holes are poked all over the top of the cake. This is the most fun part. Besides eating it of course.
A mixture of sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut gets pored on top just like you would with a Tres Leches Cake.
Your cake will look way too saturated when you pour this mixture on top. But don’t worry. The cake is going to yum it all up.. It will take some time in the refrigerator for this to happen. This cake requires patience.
A nice thick layer of Cool Whip topped with shredded coconut, plus a few cherries finishes Pina Colada Poke Cake off.
Coconut. Pineapple. A cherry on top. Who can resist a cherry on top?
This Pina Colada Poke Cake makes a winner for a summer potluck.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
- 1 (16.5-ounce) box French Vanilla Cake mix or yellow cake mix
- 2 (8-ounce) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
- ingredients needed for cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (14-ounce) can cream of coconut, not coconut milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, defrosted
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 1 (8-ounce) package sweetened shredded coconut
- maraschino cherries
- Spray either a 13X9-inch or slightly smaller baking pan with cooking spray with flour. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake batter according to package directions, except reduce water by 1/4 cup and add 1 can undrained crushed pineapple and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. Save the second can of pineapple.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 26-29 minutes for 13x9-inch pan and 30 -35 minutes for 11X7-inch pan.
- Let cool completely. Poke holes all along top of cake.
- Stir together cream of coconut and sweetened condensed milk. Slowly pour on top of cake.
- Spread second can of pineapple on top of cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Spread Cool Whip on top. If using rum extract, gently fold it into the Cool Whip first.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Top with cherries.