If you are looking for a tropical dessert to celebrate the few remaining days of summer, look no further than this Pina Colada Poke Cake. This cake is absolutely made for summer time.
Exceptionally moist, it almost has the texture of a Tres Leches Cake.
This recipe uses a cake mix so it’s super quick and easy to throw together. I add some crushed pineapple to the cake mix plus I spread more pineapple on top of the baked cake.
Holes are poked all over the top of the cake. This is the most fun part. Besides eating it of course.
A mixture of sweetened condensed milk and cream of coconut gets pored on top just like you would with a Tres Leches Cake.
Your cake will look way too saturated when you pour this mixture on top. But don’t worry. The cake is going to yum it all up.. It will take some time in the refrigerator for this to happen. This cake requires patience.
A nice thick layer of Cool Whip topped with shredded coconut, plus a few cherries finishes Pina Colada Poke Cake off.
Coconut. Pineapple. A cherry on top. Who can resist a cherry on top?
This Pina Colada Poke Cake makes a winner for a summer potluck.
Never miss a recipe. Follow Spicy Southern Kitchen on Pinterest and Instagram.
Sign up HERE for the Spicy Southern Kitchen Newsletter.
Pina Colada Poke Cake
- 1 (16.5-ounce) box French Vanilla Cake mix or yellow cake mix
- 2 (8-ounce) cans crushed pineapple, undrained
- ingredients needed for cake mix
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1 (14-ounce) can cream of coconut, not coconut milk
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 (16-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, defrosted
- 1/2 teaspoon rum extract, optional
- 1 (8-ounce) package sweetened shredded coconut
- maraschino cherries
- Spray either a 13X9-inch or slightly smaller baking pan with cooking spray with flour. Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix cake batter according to package directions, except reduce water by 1/4 cup and add 1 can undrained crushed pineapple and 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract. Save the second can of pineapple.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and bake 26-29 minutes for 13x9-inch pan and 30 -35 minutes for 11X7-inch pan.
- Let cool completely. Poke holes all along top of cake.
- Stir together cream of coconut and sweetened condensed milk. Slowly pour on top of cake.
- Spread second can of pineapple on top of cake.
- Cover and refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- Spread Cool Whip on top. If using rum extract, gently fold it into the Cool Whip first.
- Sprinkle with shredded coconut.
- Top with cherries.
13 thoughts on “Pina Colada Poke Cake”
Awesome summer treat…everyone loved it and i added it to my favorites list!
This is a great recipe! We don’t have ‘dairy whip’ in Australia, so I just cream and beat it in electric mixer or stick mixer. My guests have loved it too..
What an incredible looking poke cake! Love the pina colada flavors!
I have such a weakness for condensed milk – even though I am lactose intolerant! Christin, this cake sounds so good – love the condensed milk and pineapple and coconut/whipped topping – heck – I LOVE everything about this!
Love everything about this! Such a fun tropical flavor in a poke cake — and I’m all about shortcuts when you’re in a rush! I always have my cupboard stocked with emergency cake mixes. Pinned!
I love poke cakes- this pina colada version is so summery!
This looks heavenly! I’m dying to dig into one! That cream of coconut and sweetened condensed milk mixture sounds insanely good…I would be tempted to drink it. Pinning!
Christin, this cake looks seriously moist and oh-so-YUM! I love Pina Coladas, especially in the summer, so I totally adore the fact that you took one of my favorite drinks and turned it into a cake!! Genius! I have never actually made a poke cake before, though I have devoured my fair share! Guess I am going to have to change that, because this cake is calling my name! And while patience isn’t one of my virtues, I will have to get some because this cake needs to happen! 🙂 Cheers!
OMG, this sounds delicious. That sweetened condensed milk with cream of coconut soaked into the cake!!! I can’t even… I need pineapple right now. Haha
This poke cake looks amazing! Plus I love how you make it pina colada flavored!
Christin, the poke cake looks delicious!! I love pina colada so this is a definite hit for me… 🙂
Looks like the perfect summer cake! Love the coconut frosting 🙂
Christin, this cake looks amazing! I’ve never made a poke cake before, so I think I need to start with this version. I love the flavors in here!