This Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese is stuffed with a creamy, cheesy mixture of roasted jalapenos, crispy bacon, cream cheese, and cheddar cheese. Buttery and crispy on the outside, these sandwiches make an awesome spicy lunch.
For the spicy food lover, this grilled cheese sandwich can’t be beat.
Roast The Jalapeno Peppers
For best flavor, the jalapeno peppers are roasted first. This step can be done an day or two in advance. To roast them, cut each jalapeno in half horizontally and scoop the seeds out. Drizzle with a little oil and roast in a 425 degree F oven for about 15 minutes. The skins will easily peel off after roasting. You can peel them off or leave them on.
Type Of Bread
I like to use a sturdy, thick white bread for this recipe. But you can use any bread that you like. Sour dough is also really delicious.
Type Of Cheese
I use medium cheddar, but you can use sharp cheddar, Monterey Jack, mozzarella, Colby Jack, or a shredded Mexican cheese blend.
Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Recipe Tips
Be careful when handling jalapeno peppers. It’s best to wear gloves. If you don’t have gloves, be sure to wash your hands after handling the peppers. Just a little oil from the peppers rubbed into your eyes can make them burn. Alot.
This recipe makes 2 sandwiches and can easily be doubled.
Mayonnaise can be used instead of butter. It won’t give the bread a buttery flavor but it does get the bread wonderfully crispy.
Use An Air Fryer
This grilled cheese can be made in an air fryer. Air Fry at 400 degrees for about 5 minutes. Flip over and air fry another 2 to 3 minutes.
More Jalapeno Popper Recipes
- Jalapeno Popper Deviled Eggs
- Jalapeno Popper Potato Salad
- Fried Jalapeno Popper Bites
- Jalapeno Popper Stuffed Meatloaf
- Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole
- Jalapeno Popper Mac and Cheese
- 4 jalapenos
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 slices bacon, cooked
- 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 4 slices thick bread, Texas toast or Italian work best
- 4 tablespoons butter, softened
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.Cut each jalapeno in half lengthwise and discard the seeds.
- Place jalapenos cut side down on a greased baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.Place in oven for 15 minutes. Let cool.Roughly chop the jalapenos. Note: You can peel off and discard the skin if you wish.
- In a medium bowl, mix together cream cheese, garlic powder, and pepper. Mix in the jalapenos.
- Butter one side of each piece of bread.Place two pieces of bread, butter side down and spread the top side with cream cheese mixture. Top with bacon and then cheddar cheese.
- Place the remaining 2 slices of bread on top with the buttered side facing up.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the sandwiches and cook for about 4 minutes per side. Turn the heat down if the outside starts to brown too quickly.