Southern Cheese Fries with BBQ Pork are covered in a melty pimento cheese sauce. These southern fries are a perfect gameday appetizer and they are so easy to make.
The cheese sauce, with a combination of cheddar cheese and pepper jack cheese, has a little heat to it. It’s the perfect consistency to coat the fries.
Southern Cheese fries are a super easy game day favorite that can be made in a snap because it is made with frozen fries, premade BBQ and sauce, and an easy to make cheese sauce that you can make ahead and keep warm in a small crockpot.
Southern Cheese Fries Recipe Tips:
I recommend baking the fries in the oven but if you want to, you can fry them or make them in an air fryer. If frying in batches, keep them warm in a 200 degree oven.
The pimento cheese sauce can be made in advance and kept warm in a small crockpot. It also makes a great cheese dip for tortilla chips.
For extra flavor, I drizzle a little BBQ sauce over the cheese sauce and sprinkle with lots of sliced green onions.
The pimento cheese sauce has a little kick to it. To make these cheese fries spicier, add some pickled jalapeno slices.
Try These Other Gameday Favorites:
- Cheesy BBQ Pork Dip– another really easy recipe to make.
- Nashville Hot Chicken Dip– turn frozen popcorn chicken into an easy, spicy appetizer.
- Spicy Sausage Cheese Dip
- Buffalo Chicken Potato Skins
Southern Cheese Fries With BBQ Pork
- 1 bag frozen crinkle cut fries
- 1 pound pulled pork from your favorite restaurant or homemade
- 1 bottle BBQ sauce
- 3 green onions, sliced
Pimiento Cheese Sauce
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of cayenne pepper
- 1 (4-ounce) jar diced pimientos, drained very well
- 3/4 cup shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup Pepper Jack cheese
- Cook French fries according to baking method on the bag.
- For sauce, melt butter in a medium saucepan. Add flour and whisk for 1 minute. Gradually add milk, whisking continuously. Continue to cook, whisking frequently until mixture simmers and thickens. Turn heat off. Add remaining ingredients and stir until cheese melts.
- Place BBQ in microwave to warm.
- To assemble, place cooked French fries on a platter. Top with BBQ and drizzle with BBQ sauce and cheese sauce. Top with green onions and serve.Note: Use your judgment when it comes to how much BBQ sauce you want. I probably drizzle on about 1/4 cup.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Originally published Jan 27, 2014
247 thoughts on “Southern Cheese Fries”
Love ground beef and bacon. We’re ready for gameday at our house. Maybe a pizza tailgate day would be good.
Pepperoni is definitely my favorite topping! So delicious!
Pepperoni, mushrooms and anchovies.
Thanks for the contest.