Frozen Watermelon Margaritas- these slushie watermelon-flavored margaritas make such a refreshing cocktail. For fun, decorate them with a few mini chocolate chips to look like watermelon seeds.
I’ll admit I’ve never met a margarita I didn’t like but these frozen Watermelon Margaritas are one of my favorites.
HOW TO MAKE FROZEN WATERMELON MARGARITAS:
- Go ahead and stick the watermelon into the freezer the night before you plan to make these cocktails. If you forget, watermelon freezes pretty quickly. It should get frozen enough in 2 to 3 hours. To freeze it, chop the watermelon into chunks. To prevent the watermelon pieces from sticking together in one big clump, partially freeze them spread out on a baking sheet lined with wax paper or parchment paper. Then transfer them to a freezer bag. If you skip this step, no worries. Just bang the bag against the counter to break up the watermelon into small enough pieces that you can fit in the blender.
- Place the frozen watermelon pieces, the tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, and sugar in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Rub the rims of margarita glasses with a lime wedge and press the rims into coarse salt.
- Pour the margarita mixture into the glasses and serve.
HOW TO PICK A WATERMELON:
- The watermelon should look dull, not shiny.
- It should feel heavy for its size.
- There should be a yellow spot on one side. This is the side that was on the ground and it means the watermelon ripened before it was picked.
- Knock on the watermelon. It should make a deep sound.
- Check the color. The green should be a deep dark green and the stripes should be a light yellow.
More Summer Cocktails To Try:
- Mojito Slushies
- Blackberry Margaritas
- Honeysuckle Watermelon Cocktail
- Peach Wine Slushies
- Watermelon Mint Julep
- 5 cups chopped watermelon
- 1/2 cup silver tequila
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/3 cup sugar
- Kosher salt for rims
- mini chocolate chips, optional
- watermelon and/or lime slices for garnish, optional
- Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper and spread the cubed watermelon out on it.Freeze for 2 hours. Transfer watermelon to a freezer bag and keep in the freezer until ready to use.
- Place frozen watermelon, tequila, Triple Sec, lime juice, and sugar in a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Rub a lime wedge around the rims of the margarita glasses. Place a thin layer of kosher salt on a small plate. Gently press the wet rims into the salt.
- Fill the glasses with margarita mixture. Garnish with chocolate chips if desired and watermelon or lime slices. Serve.
Want to Save This Recipe?
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links.