Caramel Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies consist of a soft, cake-like cookie topped with a rich caramel frosting and pecan pieces. There are little bits of crunchy pecan in the batter too.
Caramel Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies consist of a soft, cake-like cookie topped with a rich caramel frosting and pecan pieces. There are little bits of crunchy pecan in the batter too. This is a recipe that I’ve adapted somewhat from Nancy Baggett’s The All-American Cookie Book. I love the contrast between the soft cookies with their simple, subtle flavors and the rich, sweet caramel frosting. Paired together they produce a cookie with just the right amount of sweetness.
I think today will be our last stretch of warm weather for a while. Might finally be time to pack away the flip flops. Cold weather makes me want to hibernate in the house and stay in the kitchen with the oven on and bake away.
Normally I’m more apt to bake pies or brownies. But I think this Holiday season is going to be all about cookies.
I feel certain these Caramel Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies will make a few more appearances at our house this winter. They go wonderfully with a glass of warm milk or a cup of coffee.
Try These Other Cookies Recipes:
Watch the Short Video Below to See How Easy This Recipe Is.
Caramel Frosted Brown Sugar Cookies
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter, slightly softened
- 1 1/3 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut in chunks
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons hot water
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted after measuring
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Chopped pecans for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and grease 2 baking sheets or line them with parchment paper.
- Sift flour and baking soda together into a bowl. Add salt. Set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat together the brown sugar and butter until fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time and vanilla extract. Beat until evenly mixed, scraping down the sides of the bowl.
- Lightly beat in half of flour mixture.
- Beat in sour cream until blended well.
- Add remaining flour mixture and pecans and beat until mixed.
- Using a 1/8-cup measure cup or ice cream scoop, drop dough in even mounds on prepared sheets, leaving 2 1/2 inches between cookies. Lightly flatten the tops of cookies using your hand or the back of a spoon.
- Bake 1 sheet at a time placing in the upper third of the oven for 9 to 12 minutes. Edges should be turning light gold and center should be just barely firm. Let cool on pans for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, melt butter in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Simmer butter, stirring occasionally until it turns slightly golden and smells very fragrant, about 3 minutes.
- Add brown sugar and cook 1 minute while stirring.
- Stir in hot water and corn syrup until well mixed and sugar dissolves.
- Vigorously stir in powdered sugar and vanilla extract until completely smooth. Add sea salt.
- Frost cookies before frosting sets and sprinkle with pecans.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links.